PDA

View Full Version : 68 camaro steering question

wallyman424
01-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey folks, I'm new around here but just picked up a project car from a member here and have a question.

The car already has a manual rack/pinion setup which I assume is a unisteer just by looking at it. Can you guys confirm that?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Now, the plan for this car is to use an LS6 as the powertrain. I just briefly put the F body oil pan in place, and it looks like it'd be very tight with the rack there. Anybody know if it'll fit or not? Secondly what do most people do for a rack/pinion with an LS motor? Modify the original pan or is there a suitable aftermarket one?

I've read all the bad mojo about the unisteer and really racks in general. I'm not opposed to ditching this setup for an aftermarket box, but would rather work with what I have all things considered.

Rhino
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
If you're wanting to work with what you have I'd suggest going back to the steering box. To get a rack performing adequately with the stock sub can be a monumental effort.
The price for a stock setup will be much lower than a custom rack or new subframe.

If you're looking for a low cost upgrade, look into the a 3rd gen IROC steering box. It should have come on just about any Camaros and Firebirds which originally had 16" wheels.

wallyman424
01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I've been thinking along those lines too. The IROC box sounds interesting, is that just plug and play to the stock mounting sites? How much better are the 600 boxes from dse or ats?

Thanks for the help.

rchaskin
01-30-2012, 08:19 AM
I used a new 800 series box from LEE with 12:1 ratio, and love it.
The car really responds, and it looks stock.
It also has the heavy road feel.

Randy

wallyman424
01-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Sorry, I'm relatively new to protouring and all the various venders. Who would LEE be?

Rhino
01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
As I recall, it's an almost direct swap for the 3rd gen box. You will notice a distinct difference in quality between an OEM vs these particular aftermarket boxes. The dse, ats, and lee (http://lee-powersteering.com) boxes are better in the long run, however they are more expensive. The decision you need to make would be solely based upon your car's intented use and budget.

wallyman424
01-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys.

CliffsBlueCamaro
01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
With the Lee kit, the 3rd Gen IROC box is a slam dunk to swap. It's hard to say how much of a difference the IROC box made on its own because I rebuilt the entire suspension and steering at the same time. But let me tell you the steering feel is fantastic with the IROC box, nice and heavy like a late model sports car.

wallyman424
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
IROC box and lee fittings sound like the ticket. I'll also be using an ididit column.

Are there any upgrades for the linkages like center link, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm or is new stock stuff good enough.

Rhino
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
You're looking to reduce flex and/or play anywhere you can. My first thought goes to the stamped steel adjusting sleeve between the tie rod and the ends. Replacing them with something more substantial would be a good idea.
Outside of that I would imagine quality stock replacement parts (ex: MOOG) should do fine.

Now may also be a good time to visit what steering arms you're currently using and if they should be changed out. (eg: MOOG)
David Pozzi's site is going to be great for reference. http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm