PDA

View Full Version : CAR front suspension clip?

StRacerDuke
09-01-2004, 06:12 PM
The last two Pleasanton goodguys shows I've seen a booth for CAR, Cambell Auto Resorations and ....?
They have some killer road racing suspension set ups in muscle cars. I think there was an article the had displayed in a magazine (Possibly Chevy High Po?). There was a orange 69 camaro sitting in the booth with a full bolt on road racing clip that fit 315's up front! This set-up was way beyond the Wayne Due, or similar kits. The rear suspension had a 3 link with a watt's link and 345's out back. I didn't have my camara with me or I would have snapped some pictures.

Anyone have anymore info on this set up / prices / pictures / weblink?

Thanks,

StRacerDuke
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Maybe it was Classic Auto Restoration and (some other stuff). I think I spelled Campbell wrong too. I believe it was in the same building as BEAR Brakes.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-01-2004, 09:52 PM
The CARS front clip does fit 315s up front, but I think I remember hearing it was VERY pricey... :/

JamesJ
09-01-2004, 09:56 PM
I remember hearing $9K for the front clip and the bad thing is that no one has it. So there is never much talk about it. Not sure if it is a real production item

camcojb
09-02-2004, 06:04 AM
and there's no proof it even works according to a couple of people I've spoken with. With all the good stuff that front clip is about $13K. They quoted that price to me a couple of years ago and I've still never seen or heard of a single example driving around.

Looks awesome though.

Jody

kp.touring
09-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Streetracerduke,
Campbell Auto Restoration front clip for 1 gen F-bodies starts at 13500.00 which includes 13.5" rotors, large PBR [c-5] calipers and QA-1 coil-overs. The front clip is built to your car and has many options. Has to be an un-proven design the front suspension is the same that is used in most Trans-Am races cars and all most all ASA cars. We 3 cars in diffrent stages of constrution with our suspension at presant, plan to have them on the street in the next 6 to 9 months.

Kevin

SYDEWAYZ71
09-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Sorry this is the only pic I found. I probably took 20 pics of this car but can't seem to find any but this one. Oh well you can still tell that its a very nice clip!!!! Wouldn't mind having one on my car.

Mean 69
09-12-2004, 12:47 AM
I have no clue what the actual suspension geometry of this is, so I won't even speculate as to what it can or can't do, but I will say, if you're going to try to increase the function of the FRAME of the front of a first gen, this is hands down better than the variety of offerings out there, at first glance. One thing that NONE of them (WD, Alston, etc) seem to address is torsional rigidity of the front structure. I can hear the rebuttal to this, "but we use really nice tubing in our design, it has heavy wall thickness." Doesn't mean too much, triangulation is the key.

That said, just piling on a bunch of additional tubes doesn't instantly mean that things are better either, but a good ole' FEA can determine very quickly what works, and what doesn't.

Nice looking craftsmanship. And by the way, those aren't QA-1's, they look kind of like a Penske (now, just how would I know that? :drool:).

Mark

David Pozzi
09-12-2004, 10:20 AM
I saw this project in the very early stage. It follows ASA style construction and components. It should work very well as long as the suspension geometry is in the ballpark. I agree, this one actually has a front frame structure, very nice!
David

kp.touring
09-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Dave,
You need to come by and the upgraded front end we are doing now , also in regards to your three link post we are build two cars with a Trans Am style three link rear suspenion.

Kevin @ Campbell Auto Restoration [C.A.R.]

MrQuick
09-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Kevin, I think I spoke to you at last years goodguys show...or was it this year? :dunno: Anyways do you have any pictures of your current projects going on or better yet how about a tour of the shop?!?! Im local. Would love to see more.

68RallySport
09-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Do u guys gave a website?

David Pozzi
09-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Kevin, will do!! :)
I'll try and get up there soon.
David :3gears:

kp.touring
10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
CAR.
Web site is on the way @ www.campbellautorestoration.com

Kevin

Steve Chryssos
10-05-2004, 04:49 AM
None of these front clip designs are PROVEN. There is no track testing data. There is no published geometry data. So there's no sense in singling out the CARS clip as unproven just because it is expensive.

I met the CARS guys at last years P-T.com SEMA dinner. Good people. They had dozens of photos of their work on hand. Stuff looks great. Their clip appears to be the ultimate design and therefore carries the ultimate pricetag.

So I invite Kevin and the CARS crew to come on here and elaborate on their design. Sometimes folks are better at making parts then they are at explaining their design. If necessary, they should communicate throught David Pozzi or another local member with suspension design knowledge.
/Steevo

camcojb
10-05-2004, 06:18 AM
Steve,

You've got mail!

Jody

Steve Chryssos
10-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Damned junk mail filter!!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Received and replied.