PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of a WOBlink?

claytonisbob
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
So I was looking into materials and design for a watts link for my Chevelle and I stumbled across another device called a WOBlink. It seems like the packaging may work better for a Chevelle which is lacking in space between the diff and gas tank, plus it seems like it would allow more space for exhaust maybe. I don't know if the geometry is as good as a watts, but it too allows you to set your roll center (though, not as low as a mumford link).

What do you guys think. I searched and couldn't find any real reference of it on this site.

exwestracer
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
THe WOBlink is basicaly a short-long arm suspension turned sideways. It does work like a watts link in that it offers vertical motion (IF designed correctly) and can be set up for a very low roll center if desired. To keep the geometry correct, the WOB pivot (or links) MUST be mounted some distance below (or above) axle centerline. Also, the load against the WOB pivot mount is pretty horrendous.

I ran one on my supermodified for a couple of seasons years ago. With the lateral G forces (close to 3) those cars generate, we were tearing up pivot bearings left and right. I went back to a Panhard bar....

exwestracer
01-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Another thought regarding the WOBlink. The roll center location (if built as pictured above) will be a FOOT or more lower than the stock location in your Chevelle (intersection of the upper links). This is going to have create a radical change in handling characteristics. Also, regardless of what you use for a locator, you will have to do something with the triangulated upper links. A single top link, parallel 4 link, or torque arm; it doesn't matter, but you can't have 2 separate lateral locating devices.

carguykeith
01-28-2012, 02:55 PM
... you can't have 2 separate lateral locating devices.

This is news to me. One of the planned upgrades I had to my rear suspension was to install a watts link to better control lateral axle movement. Your saying I would need to adjust my uppers to be parallel or i some other way ensure the watts link was the only lateral locator?

exwestracer
01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
This is news to me. One of the planned upgrades I had to my rear suspension was to install a watts link to better control lateral axle movement. Your saying I would need to adjust my uppers to be parallel or i some other way ensure the watts link was the only lateral locator?

Absolutely.

claytonisbob
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
I wondered about that. I know there are some that are using a watts or phb with a triangulated 4 link, I always assumed that would create some kind of bind. Ideally I'd like to figure out a 3 link rear suspension setup at some point.

That's also interesting about the pivot point loading. Is it higher than the pivot points of a panhard bar or watts link?

exwestracer
01-29-2012, 06:35 AM
I never really "mathed out" the loading on the pivot bushing, but what we had in the car should have been plenty strong, and it wore almost instantly. I could see the rocker adding some leverage at that point, but you'd think total side load wouldn't change. We were running it on the front (tube axle) with a driver-adjustable sway bar. Seemed like a neat setup, but it was more trouble than we needed. I've seen a couple other supers run them, but the idea never caught on.