PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust Koni Classics

tripower
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Greetings,

Koni's enclosed documentation for adjusting their shocks leaves a lot to be desired! Can anyone outline the basics on how to adjust the fronts? The application is a GM A-body. These are the red Koni adjustables.

Thanks!
Rich

vanzuuk1
07-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Not to thread jack but while you give the adjustment tips tell us your opinion of the shocks also. They are on my list of things to buy, thumbs up or thumbs down?

chicane67
07-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Compress the shafts into the body of the shock and turn clock or counter clockwise to adjust. You will 'feel' a detent bump (and might even hear an audible 'click') when turning the shaft during the adjustment..... if you dont, you havent compressed the shafts into the shock far enough.

My recommendation is to leave them on full soft, unless you have the stock springs in the chassis. If you have lowered the chassis and/or changed to higher rate springs, I would leave them alone..... Seeing that you are running an 18" wheel package and a big boat anchor.... ooops.... I mean a big block..... it would be better if you left them adjusted to the lighter side, unless you are using light spring rates.

Impressions ?? Well, from what I have just stated, that is my recommendation from the many years of use. I like them for lighter spring rates but wouldnt use them with higher spring rates unless I had them re-valved for it. I had them in my 67 and with the spring rates I run, they actually pulled the shocks apart from not having (what I deem correct for the spring rates) the correct or required shock valving. But thats what you get from an out of the box shock.... its for an out of the box chassis.

My opinion: Thumbs up !! All the way.... I really liked them. Re-buildable, adjustable and can be converted to a "dual adjust".... yeah, you have some cool options with the KONI.

vanzuuk1
07-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks
I am probably getting the dse susp. package, it comes with the konis.

Its for a sunday driver/ track day once in a while car.

small block, by the way.

yody
07-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Tom, you should know there is no such thing as a "big block" pontiac....

chicane67
07-09-2005, 07:08 PM
OK..... boat anchor it is....

yody
07-09-2005, 07:11 PM
where is "foamy" from, looks familiar..... kinda reminds me of Zbugger

tripower
07-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys... I'm using the GW S-5 springs up front. I'm not sure of the rates, buy would you still recommend the light setting? Thanks!

chicane67
07-09-2005, 08:36 PM
With the S-5.... yes. You are right in the valving range for full soft.

Yody....come on Berkeley boy....do some home work. Foamy is your lord and master and boat anchors make more torque than humanly conceiveable.

yody
07-09-2005, 09:14 PM
i liked calvin better

zbugger
07-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Foamy Rules!!!! (http://www.illwillpress.com/)

Cody, you're sleeping under the Suburban.

sinned
07-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Cody, you're sleeping under the Suburban.Ohhh, can I drive?

yody
07-09-2005, 09:47 PM
sorry dennis, no posers allowed

yody
07-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Cody, you're sleeping under the Suburban.

better than sleeping on the floor, which is where your gonna be!

tripower
07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have a range for the rates on the S-5s? I have the S-60s for the rear...any rates on those and comments on setting the firmness on the rears?

Are the Classics set at full soft out of the box by chance?

Thanks again for the replies.

BTW, my boat anchor pulled right at 500 TQ on the dyno... :)