PDA

View Full Version : computer / Internet ?s

JamesJ
09-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Ok i have my web page host people and i have who holds it but what now, i have my primary DNS number and my secondary i am realy lost now. my computer person is the hardest person to get ahold of. any help would be great.....

derekf
09-02-2004, 03:43 AM
What are you looking for - what are you trying to do?

camarorider
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
I am sure derekf or I can help you better if you list if you are wanting to get your page up or just your next step.
I am kinda confused on where you are right now.
Do you have a name already? If you do did you do it thru the hosting service or on your own thru someone like register.com. If you did your name straight with a registrar then you will need to add the dns address.
This will tell where your site (index page) is actually located. Then you need to upload your index page (website and folders) using either a ftp program, IE ftp window based, or just web based thru your hosting provider.

JamesJ
09-02-2004, 07:25 PM
yes I have my domain name, I got it with Network Solutions. I have Start Logic hosting it. I guess that is were I am, I need to tell the host company where my page is located. Which program do you recommend to use, I have used some FTP software before. Vdeck is what Start Logic uses.

camarorider
09-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Ok I think I know what you need. You need to tell your registrar your dns numbers. Usually you can log into their website and add them. This will direct users who type in your address to go to your hosting provider. It will depend but it may take some time before you can reach your address until the dns info gets ready.

After that use any ftp program like smartftp or WS_FTP to upload your pages including your index page. You have to have an index page and make sure it is named this. This will be your "home" page.
Thats it.

JamesJ
09-03-2004, 06:46 AM
That is exactly what I am trying to do. When I go to my control panel I just don’t know where to type in my DNS numbers or even if that is what you do. (They use Vdeck if that helps) Do I need to send an email to them and say what they are. That is what I am trying to figure out how to do. Thanks for your help, when my page is up it will have lots of cool pics.

derekf
09-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Email them to your registrar.

Make sure you're sending the DNS numbers you got from your host and not the ones from your ISP.

JamesJ
09-03-2004, 05:21 PM
OK got that done, what size do you recommend for pictures when you click on a thumbnail? I have most of my page built, just need to create the photo galleries. And then upload it all. So hopefully by the time I get it done the DNS changes will have taken place.

derekf
09-05-2004, 06:20 PM
On my site I make my thumbnails have a max dimension of 150 (whichever is larger - width or height), but it's really up to your personal preference.