PDA

View Full Version : SPONSORSHIP of Charger

skigoose
01-22-2012, 05:36 AM
SO I am very close to getting my 1968 Charger to go Vroom check out my profile to see the car, but as fate has it I am no longer working, the guys at the shop, 401K Hot-rod shop in Anaheim, have been very good to me, but I am out of money, and can not spend anymore on project, this was to be a project for me and my father to do our long awaited RT66 tour, and I have sold my 68 Camaro to get it done, but now we are living on our savings (whats left)

I am curious? The worker at the shop said there are companies that would sponsor parts or some of the build, if they could use the car for SHOW? I never thought this was the case, I always thought some companies would just let you buy parts at a server discount or, install them, or they had their own cars? is this true, and does anyone know anyone, the only thing (and I know it's a lot) I have left to do is the interior...

I would love to be able to do my RT 66 run with my dad this year, and this car will become my daily driver, as I will need to sell my car to pay bills.

Thanks Guys54449544505445154452544535445454455
This was very hard to type...

Ron.in.SoCal
01-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Sponsership is not an easy thing. Its been discussed many times here so do a search and you'll find the info you seek. In your shoes, I'd park the project until finances improve. Keep the daily, keep the Charger, keep the RT 66 dream alive! I feel for you and wish you best of luck...

badazz81z28
01-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I feel alot of it is knowing the right people and it must really benefit the company in some way or fashion. I think about this alot as well.

I watch powerblock on Spike all the time and drool at all the cool parts they get for free to put on their rigs for the trade-off of advertising (Summit Racing on HorsepowerTv alot!). I consider my self a middle of the road kind of guy who has to sacrafice to invest in my car. I too would love a new paint job or an LSx Engine or the new Hotchkis 3-link suspension for my car, but I too just don't have the funds.

It either takes big pockets, credit, or saving over time to get what you want. Take a look at my car, I have a big "Hotchkis" sticker on my windshield, but I have paid full retail price on every part on it. I roll on cheap Summit Racing Wheels, bit& pieces rear disc brakes, someones hand me down Wilwood calipers, and a bunch of other used stuff. Just have to make it happen, because nobody else will.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled to have some type of sponsorship (Hello Hotchkis), but I don't think it will happen, especially for really the only purpose is to fix up your car. It does take more than a few stickers to get sponsors interested.

You might get lucky in generous act of a few fellow members.

sniper
01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
If you are living on savings, the last thing you should be thinking about is finishing a "project".

Sponsorship or not (and most of the time they are not that great of a deal) in the condition that car is currently in, you still gonna need a stack of cash to get it done. A sponsorship doesn't foot the labor bill.
And when it comes to sponsorship, ask yourself this: What am "I" offering a company by using their parts? It's not about finishing your car.

Sell the car and get your finances in order would be my advice.

BulldawgMusclecars
01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
You have to keep in mind that sponsorship isn't like winning the lottery...the company that provides its parts is going to want some kind of return on their investment. Usually that means some type of media coverage (hard to get/guarantee in advance), guarantees that the car is going to be shown/raced at certain events, etc. In the end, its more like a loan...a rather expensive one...because attending all those events, hotel bills, fuel, food, repairs, etc. isn't cheap. Not every sponsor is going to just give you the parts, either. Some will sell them to you at warehouse distributor prices (which you can usually beat anyway if you look hard enough); others pay out contingencies if you win with their products.

Personally, I'd find a $500 beater, and shelf the Charger til your finances improve. You obviously haven't compromised much on the build so far, and by not following through at the same level the car won't get the recognition it otherwise would deserve. If you're unemployed, a project car is the last thing you should be spending money on.

Rod
01-22-2012, 01:58 PM
98% of the sponsored drivers became sponsored after the car was finished and racing at events with capable wins or top 10's finishes,

and even being sponsored doesn't cover everything, just the part they make, not the twice a month autocross practice events, the 2 sets of tires blown out for the year, one set of front rotors and pads over heated, 2 transmission rebuilds, the 8 weekends spent in hotels to bigger events, entry fees for all the practice and events, fuel for travel, meals out at events 3+ times a day, and now a new motor, that's just part my sponsored year

maybe the shop working on the car will sponsor you with labor and paint but you still need parts

skigoose
01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Guys...thank you very much for all the wonderful advice, Just so you know where I am with the project, Body work and paint is already paid for IN FULL, it was a trade with my paint and body guy, as for the Mech build (Start, forward, reverse, stop, and working AC) is already paid in full, I think you guys are right, I will put it in the garage with a cover on it, and wait it out. I also wans't thinking about racing it, but all the parts are very high quality, either polished or powder coated, so I thought it would be a good Show car for either a Rim Company, or maybe a stereo company, or even better and Interior comapny, or best of all CLASSIC INDUSTRIES is right down the road form me. just wishing out loud....

MarkM66
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
No offense, but if a company is going to give something away, or offer at a discount, they'll do it with builders that have a proven track record of getting A LOT of publicity. There's no reason to take a gamble on someone that doesn't. :)

badazz81z28
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I understand that there are additional cost with participating in events, but why do some of you see that as a downside? Like some of you said, sponsorship came after a completed car competing in events.

Blown engines, warped brakes, hotel fees, food, gas etc...Wouldnt you be paying for that anyways? Even people without sponsors out pocket that just to be apart of the community. I don't see that as a "burden" to being sponsored.

skigoose
01-24-2012, 04:36 AM
OK guys, I think I got it, no major exposure on my side, no use for my car. I think it will go under cover after paint, and I will figure it out, hopefully not too long... Wish me luck on the job front..

Chris 68
01-24-2012, 06:06 AM
I will sponsor you, I'll give you a hundred bucks to put a sticker of my name on your windshield.

Joking aside, good luck and hang in there my friend. BTW the build looks killer so far!

skigoose
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Chris, just for the offer, I will put sticker on for FREE, made me feel good.

OH! I have to get the front windshield first..but I do have the rear..

Rod
01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I understand that there are additional cost with participating in events, but why do some of you see that as a downside? Like some of you said, sponsorship came after a completed car competing in events.

Blown engines, warped brakes, hotel fees, food, gas etc...Wouldnt you be paying for that anyways? Even people without sponsors out pocket that just to be apart of the community. I don't see that as a "burden" to being sponsored.

Its no burden at all, (I LOVE EVERY DAMN MINUTE OF IT!! Wahoo!) wouldnt trade it for anything, Im lucky to have a girlfriend that supports my crazy garage life, I was just giving a real picture to sponsorship, I get lots of guys come into my shop, that think I get everything for free, because the car is at a vendor booth or they see it used for an ad like the goodguys events, I enjoy the people, the racing, the friends, and getting others turned on to the whole idea of driving and racing there cars,

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
forget it dude.. i havent heard of ANYTHING being sponsored without you giving the same back in some way or in some case more..

sometimes it takes crazy dedication to show most companies that your worthy of a "free part" witch it totally isnt free.

skigoose
02-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Hey Guys....so a member of this site (I think) pick up my Sponsorship POST and wrote a story for StreetLegalTV

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/can-sponsorship-save-this-father-and-son-68-charger-project/

andrewb70
02-11-2012, 06:22 AM
forget it dude.. i havent heard of ANYTHING being sponsored without you giving the same back in some way or in some case more.......

That's because there is no such thing as "free!"

Andrew

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-11-2012, 07:11 AM
^ Co-signed..

Bryce
02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
That's because there is no such thing as "free!"

Andrew

We need a like button on PT.com

skigoose
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Not looking for free...looking for help....I have a lot of $$ into project already, nothing was free....I have spent north of 60K on parts not including car, pre-paid paint and body work, or recent labor... I made sure everything was best for the project and did a lot of research on each part...

sokoloka
02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Not looking for free...looking for help....I have a lot of $$ into project already, nothing was free.... I made sure everything was best for the project and did a lot of research on each part...

That's what all of us do though. It's kind of a part of the hobby...

skigoose
02-11-2012, 09:10 AM
I understand, for the record I never went into this project looking for a hand out, and I am still not, but I am in a situation that doesn't allow me to finish it in the time I was planning, I thought it would make some company a very nice SHOWPIECE for their product (i.e. stereo company.etc) this was not even my idea, it was mentioned to me by the guy at the shop. I wanted to have this done by this summer so my Dad, kids and I could do a RT 66 run, my dad and I have been talking about it for 10 years now. I also understand if a company did something then I would be required to give them the car for a certain amount of shows.
The only part that is left to do is the interior, and windows...

andrewb70
02-11-2012, 09:40 AM
There have been several, very lengthy threads on the topic of sponsorship. Various vendors have contributed to the previous discussions and they will give you a better understanding of what you can expect. I suggest you search for those threads and see if they make some of the issues involved more clear.

Andrew

analyte
02-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Wanting to use the car as a daily driver will also affect your ability to get a sponsor. The wear and tear will limit its appeal rather quickly.

Bryce
02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
how much money do you need to finish the car?

skigoose
02-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Bryce, I am guessing about 5=8k to complete the interior, could be less, I was planning on installing it all.

DTM Racing
02-12-2012, 06:52 AM
5-8K is a lot in today's market. You are talking about a good chunk of advertising budget for most companies for the entire year. There are very few companies with the clout to pull off something like that. You can keep trying, but you are going to hit a lot of no walls before you get anything. You may be better off try a larger company like year one, or some other interior manufacturer, just to get it restored to stock.
Personally I would do the bare minimum to get this car driveable, and go out and enjoy it. DO the upgrade when the money comes later. Trash the Route 66 plans for this year, use that budget for the car. I could EASILY do a stock based interior on the cost of touring the country coast to coast.

Mr.VENGEANCE
02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

SS PUNISHER
02-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Throw in some buckets from the yard and ride that bish without interior!

SparkyRnD
02-12-2012, 08:17 AM
if you need the car for a road trip, and lost your job, you can always bolt together with used / inexpensive seats, and bare bones / reuse old original parts. At least that way you could use it for the road trip. Wouldn't be perfect, wouldn't be a show car, but at least you could take a road trip. As I told a buddy of mine, a car doesn't have to be painted in order to be driven :-)

skigoose
02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree, I have most of the interior stuff, even though it is in pretty bad shape, OK so I will get it back from the shop in a few weeks, have it painted (pre-paid) and hopefully be in the black by then, thank you everyone for your input and honesty, This was a difficult discussion for me to even have. I will keep you all updated...

chuckd71
03-27-2012, 09:12 PM
The sponsoring of a car in progress that might or might not ever get finished seems like a stretch, but once I get my car moving again I had thought about (as in, "hey - this is an idea, wonder what would happen") letting people put their business logo or sticker or whatever on the car, for $20/ month or so depending on size. Would just put a listing on craigslist offering it, not making it a huge production, and using that money to eventually pay for a paint job. If I were not going back to school money would not be an issue, but $20 here and there for the next 8 years or so while I'm back to being poor might ad up. Doesn't really help you in this case, but maybe you could simply aim for something more modest in terms of bringing in money.

TT302Z28
03-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Are you for real?

skigoose
03-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Why are you asking?