PDA

View Full Version : so I bought a truck, a little help please?

grenade inspector
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I'll be getting my new to me truck trailered to my house tomorrow, its one of my favorites since I was a kid, a 1958 gmc pickup. Once it is on the road I am planning a light pt resto-mod but first I need to get it running... I was told that it has a newish carb so fuel shouldn't be a problem however I'm 23 so the ignition has me baffled; the only non computer controlled ignition systems Ive played with are distributors on 4g63 based forklifts. Any help? I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow, I cant wait...

scogin918
01-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Fuel, fire and air. If you have the fuel and air part squared away, then start checking the plugs, wires, all electrical connections, etc. Check all the fluids as well. As far as I can tell, you have an ignition coil, points, and a condenser to check.
There are a couple of websites available as well if you google "1958 GMC ignition".

MonzaRacer
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
more information, engine, trans, any mods already done.

JEFFTATE
01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
How old is the engine in the truck ???
Lot's of old engines can have worn out components ( like camshaft , distributor , etc.. )
You have to make sure all this is in proper working order first ...
Don't take anything for granted , or believe any information that someone may have told you .
Double check everything .

grenade inspector
01-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the interest guys, the more I think about it I think I may just put the bird on a back burner for a little while and make somewhat of a build out of this... I primarily want to get it running so that I can drive it a little and have some use/fun with it while I get it to "driver" level Then its going to be out with the sixer and in with something else. I have an early 70s poncho 350 I might do a run through and through in or I might pick up a sbc for it, not sure. Either way I would like it to be a good performance driver, nothing nuts, no track time just fun to drive. I am going to try and stay on a shoelace budget with it so it wont be a spectacular build but I think it will be nice.