PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Camaro suspension

spencer
07-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I am planning to build my 70 Z/28 and was wanting to get some suspension input from someone that knows more about it than I do.
This is my first build. First question,I thought about going with a Martz front clip, but a Hotchkis complete suspension system is also something I am leaning towards. Also, the kits that replace the leaf springs, is this the best way to go to get the best handling from my car, or again, would I be better off to go with the Hotchkis kit? I don't have any local tracks that offer track days, but this is something that I would be interested in.
Thank you for your help.

zbugger
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
First of all, welcome to the site. Secondly, there's a lot of discussion going on regarding 2nd gens lately. For a starter, I'd recommend going with the Hotchkis stuff. It's the easiest to install, and it will help you to learn. There's all kinds of different ways you can go in building your car, but start off simple. If it's your first build, keep it easy so you can learn and expand your knowledge base to build the car better. The Hotchkis kit is a very good start.

WS6
07-09-2005, 03:02 PM
i agree besides easier is usually cheaper as well. if your goals arent too hardcore then there really isnt a need for a hardcore set up. a fiberglass monoleaf conversion is something i consider hardcore. you can do a lot with the factory suspension setup so why convert it to something else. the only monoleaf conversion i know of is made by VBP and its a pretty big install. requires a lot of changes and in the end maybe complete over kill. money that was spent on an overkill suspension could have been spent on the engine or brakes possibly.

spencer
07-09-2005, 08:01 PM
I appreciate the info, The hotchkis kit is what I am going with, plus some fatmanfab tubular upper and lower control arms.
Thanks for the tips.

spencer
07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Appreciate the help. I saw that monoleaf kit on this site under the second gen icon, and it looked like a pretty big deal.
Thanks for the help.

rickk
07-09-2005, 08:49 PM
spencer . give me a call 214 908 2100 . my name is rick kirkindall i have a 73 camaro z28 rs . looks at www.martzchassis.net (http://www.martzchassis.net) to see my camaro.

WS6
07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
man i love your 73. great looking car.

spencer
07-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh man, I don't need to go to any where to see your car, I've got the magazine thats featuring your car. It is very impressive. I have your car as my wallpaper on my computer. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me.

rickk
07-11-2005, 08:44 PM
spencer . thanks

rick kirkindall:cheers:

TBART70
07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Rick I'm using the martz chassis also, was wondering if you modified it at all. How was the fit, how hard was the fab up of the steering shaft. I added some bracing to the front and filled in the open spots on the crossmember. I have your car on the desktop also. beautiful car.

-thanks Tom

rickk
07-12-2005, 08:07 PM
tom , the martz chassis fit like a glove. thanks for the feed back .

thanks rick kirkindall:cheers: