PDA

View Full Version : engine combination

1985olds
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
hello,
i have a 1985 olds cutlass, 5 speed 4.10 rear, has a 327 currently but want to build a better one and looking for combo suggestions. where i stand parts wise is a 327 block and forged stock cranks small journal, dart 2 heads 2.02, 1.60 valves, 200 cc intakes 72 cc chambers i believe not totally sure, but i do know with the forged dome pistons it works out to 10 to 1 compression. the heads are getting worked a little, an air gap intake, 1 5/8 headers. vurretnly has a .222/.222 .447/.447 cam but looking for a solid lifter flat tappet cam suggestions and carburetor thoughts. this motor is for road courses and street use, any thoughts on alternative combos would be appreciated.

1985olds
01-25-2012, 05:56 AM

Twentyover
01-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Sounds like you're parts are for building a higher rpm motor. Think I'd at least consider a 383 crank. You'd loose a little revability, but you get an almost 20% in displacement. Not sure why you're thinking solid lifter.

G bodies are hardly light weights. What transmission are you thinking of using? I'm thinkthe major question here is where are you going to drive it most? Frequently, changes that make it a better track car make it a worse street car.

1985olds
01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
what do you consider light? im new to the protouring type racing, used to build 1/4 mile cars, in the 1/4 mile crowd my car was considered not a feather weight, but on the lighter side, it weighed 3211 curb weight from the factory, that was with the v6 and th350, i have a 327 and t 5 in there now, so between the weight difference of more aluminum parts witht the v8 and the t5 being considerably lighter, i figure its similar give or take a few pounds. I hope that statement doesnt sound sarcastic, its not meant to, i thought it sounded that way. Im curious what is considered light, i have been focusing on shaving some weight.
Im switching form the t5 though, to a t56. i drive the car probably 30 times or less a year, i live in buffalo, but the car is on long island. i want to head over to raceway park over the summer a few times.
ive had the 327 in the car for a few years now, and love it, but want to raise the revving capabilities from about 6500 with the hydraulic flat tappet to 7500 or more with a soild roller, i know i put a flat tappet in the original post, that was a mistake.
if i were going to put a 383 crank in, i would probably just go to a 400 small block to be honest, i have considered it.
what im trying to get out of the motor is a car i can drive to the track an hour away and still be able to have fun when i get there.