PDA

View Full Version : good electrical tape

rockdogz
07-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Any recommendations for some good black electrical tape to wrap my wiring loom in my engine compartment? Something that won't melt/fall right off after it gets hot like the cheap stuff seems to do? I have the wire bundled with zip ties and inside of some good quality nylon flex conduit from Madelectrical, and I was thinking of taping it before putting it in the conduit for extra protection but wasn't sure if it was needed...

astroracer
07-09-2005, 09:46 AM
If you ever plan to work on it or add anything I would recommend just running it through the conduit... Use the zip ties to delineate bundles but, other then that, I wouldn't constrain the wires any more then I had to. That leaves them accessible and, believe me, if you ever have to work on it after it's been taped up, you'll kick yourself. It makes for a sticky, dirt attracting mess. The conduit is more protection them the wires had from the factory and looks much better anyway... Unless you are going day-glo green on a yellow car or something...
Mark

Rubes
07-09-2005, 01:21 PM
DONT use electrical tape!!! It just makes an awfull stick mess like Astroracer said. The wire looms are a good alternative too, but if you really want the taped stock look use a dry wire harness tape like the factory did. Eastwood has some. Harness tape from Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1368&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=harness%2Ctape)

Rubes

69Lowbird
07-13-2005, 11:34 PM
3M makes the best electrical tape I have used. Very flexible and very sticky.