PDA

View Full Version : repainting BAER 6S calipers

67redrocket
01-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I bought a set of baer 6S brakes on ebay, the seller put the calipers and discs in the same box and sent the box to me in Norway. And as everyone should expect the calipers looked awful after a trip half way around the world.

I have a eastwood DIY powder coating system, can I use eastwood powdercoating on brake calipers? Or will the heat from the disc destroy the paint.

Is there possible to buy a set of new gaskets for the pistons from baer?

astroracer
01-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Criminy! What was the guy thinking? Its sad you have to deal with that mess...
You can use a rattle can to paint your calipers. Powder coating isn't necessary. Get a color close to what you want and clean them real good, scuff them with ScotchBrite, prime and paint. They really don't get hot enough to hurt the paint.
Mark

hifi875
01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Powder coat them or at least get some specific brake caliper paint. I did the duplicolor for my ls1 brakes 4yrs ago and they still look brand new and the car is driven so they get used

astroracer
01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Powder coat them or at least get some specific brake caliper paint. I did the duplicolor for my ls1 brakes 4yrs ago and they still look brand new and the car is driven so they get used

There is another thread here that covers all of this. Here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?85780-Best-place-to-get-C5-Calipers-powder-coated&highlight=caliper+paint
You don't need to jump through any hoops to paint the calipers. I painted the calipers on my wifes '94 formula with BRUSH on enamel paint three years ago and they still look good... As long as you get them clean and grease free ANY kind of paint will work. Trust me.
Mark

hifi875
01-14-2012, 06:52 PM
There is another thread here that covers all of this. Here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?85780-Best-place-to-get-C5-Calipers-powder-coated&highlight=caliper+paint
You don't need to jump through any hoops to paint the calipers. I painted the calipers on my wifes '94 formula with BRUSH on enamel paint three years ago and they still look good... As long as you get them clean and grease free ANY kind of paint will work. Trust me.
Mark

That may be true but if I spent the money to buy a badass set of brakes like those I would want them to look like it

67redrocket
01-15-2012, 02:41 AM
That may be true but if I spent the money to buy a badass set of brakes like those I would want them to look like it

Yes that is my point too. No spray can or brush paint on these calipers.

astroracer
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Entirely your choice. I was just trying to save you some coin. And if I was to paint the calipers.... They would look good. It's all in the prep work Bud. Take your time do it right and no one would think anything different.
Mark

bimmen325
01-30-2012, 09:06 AM
goldlinebrakes.com has a very nice coating and they can rebuild your calipers.

69znc
02-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Many of Baer calipers are powdercoated. I actually just put on a new set of SS4+ and they got scratched deep. I sent back to Baer to re=powdercoat. They did it for me a a min cost. If they had not been brand new I would have had it done locally. I think you will be far happier with the powdercoating.

HarleyR
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
holy cow Id cuss his ass out.....

mueen
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I had a similar problem with mine, I took out the pistons and ordered a rebuild kit from baer. Then had them bead blasted and ready for powder coating. Mine were really bad, person who had them before me had them on his f150 and drove it during canadian winters. Still thinking of what color to use..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/05/IMG_1590-1.jpg

67redrocket
05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Thank you, have you powdercoated them yet?

Corey R.
05-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I hope the seller gave you back a credit for the damage. If not, I would open a dispute.

Those are nice calipers. I am surprised here in the land of $4000 rear IRS and $3000 brake swaps, people are suggesting you brush or rattle can those calipers.

Blast and powder coat those puppies for sure.

gsxrken
05-21-2013, 05:42 AM
I am surpyrised here in the land of $4000 rear IRS and $3000 brake swaps, people are suggesting you brush or rattle can those calipers.

Blast and powder coat those puppies for sure.

If astroracer is saying they will come out good with a careful spray job, I would tend to believe him. Check out his build and the attention to detail before you hip-shoot.
And if the OP still doesn't like them afterwards, he's out ten bucks and can go get them powder coated, right?

Corey R.
05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
If astroracer is saying they will come out good with a careful spray job, I would tend to believe him. Check out his build and the attention to detail before you hip-shoot.
And if the OP still doesn't like them afterwards, he's out ten bucks and can go get them powder coated, right?

Hip shoot? really? I am not saying they will look terrible, but I have never seen a spray can job look as smooth and evenly laid out as a powder coat job. Powder coating a small part like that isn't very expensive where I live.

As a point of record, I have spray painted most of my stock calipers in the past, due to their non-bling and rough cast factors. However when it comes to big dollar pinchers like those the OP has, I would absolutely powder coat them for the $30 it would cost here.