PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

cham
07-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I have little experience with brakes so bear with me here.

After my front end overhaul on my 69 camaro, I put on my new hub, bearings, new stocker calipers and new pads. When driving it pulls a little to the right, I had an alignment done (new tie rods etc, had to have one) and the problem still lives. Then I notice its pulling to the right alot more when I hit the brakes. It seems obvious that the right brake is the problem. Any ideas other than air bubble, I made sure it wasnt that.

derekf
07-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Could be a restriction in the hose or the line, or the piston itself not retracting fully.

sinned
07-08-2005, 07:17 PM
If the base alignment is off causing a pull all the time than it will typically pull worse during braking conditions. Make sure the R/F brake is not dragging by jacking up the front wheels after a road test (best to do it with the brakes warm) ands spin them both. If they spin freely or with light drag (the same) go back and have the alignment corrected.

PRO TC
07-08-2005, 07:36 PM
dont rule out the left side hose or caliper. remember it pulls to the right so the brakes are pulling on the right side. does it straghten out right after you let off the brake if so look at the left side.

pro tc

cham
07-09-2005, 09:10 AM
It does straighten up when you let off the brakes. Now that I think of it, I do remember spinning the tires and the right side did have more drag than the left. I am not sure how to correct this tho.

68BNUT
07-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Make sure your left side isnt pinched or blocked like they said. I could just not even be clamping down?

cham
07-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I just jacked it up and the right side has alot of drag. Its almost hard to move.
I can just take the caliper off and compress the piston for more clearance right?

1971ssls1
07-09-2005, 03:00 PM
I just jacked it up and the right side has alot of drag. Its almost hard to move.
I can just take the caliper off and compress the piston for more clearance right?

well no, because when you press on the brakes, the piston in the caliper gets pushed out to grab the rotor to slow you down. if you compress the piston inside the claiper, all your going to do at this point is push fluid back into the m/c. once you pump the pedal a few more times, you are going to be right where you started. Also, did you have your rotors turned or replace them?

sinned
07-09-2005, 06:19 PM
You have a problem with the R/F caliper/hose somewhere. While you have it jacked up and the wheel is difficult to turn, try opening the bleeder and see if it makes any difference. If so than you have a M/C, line, hose issue. If not than you have a caliper/slide issue.

cham
07-10-2005, 06:26 AM
I said the wrong thing, it actually pulls to the left during braking. Its been ahwile since I drove it. The entire hub, pads and calipers are all brand new. They all have about 200 miles on them. I will check for a pinched brake line but I dont think that is what its doing.
I have it back up on stands and all the brake lines look good. I am going to try bleeding my passenger side again and see if that does it. How many 3 pumps and hold you think would be more than enough to clear the lines from the M/S to caliper?

PRO TC
07-11-2005, 06:46 PM
ok so open the bleeder on the right side if the wheel spins free replace the hose if still hard to spin replace caliper.

pro tc