PDA

View Full Version : Pypes exhaust system

Marty G Cars
07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
After searching in the exhaust section I had a question about the Pypes mandrel bent (or any other similar mandrel bent) exhaust system. I want to install the system myself at home. I have a lift but no welder (or welding skills). Can this (or any other similar system) be installed properly without welding? There is no problem if I have to cut off some sections of pipe to adjust for a proper fit, but will it seal/fit properly just using whatever type of clamps (band or other) and hangers that come with the kit? I was thinking of the 2.5" Pypes system w/Borla mufflers.

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty

Norwoodx55
07-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Marty, I started off with a Torque Tech 3" system and the band clamps. I made a few cuts here and there, got the system installed, and ran it that way for a while. Worked out so so. Things seemed to shift around no matter how tight I made the band clamps. I also never quite got the thing sealed up tight. I could see a few spots where exhaust was blowing past the joints. I think with the reg. U-bolt clamps, would tighten up more. I used the bands for asthetic reasons as well as I planned on making some changes. If you use the U-bolt clamps, I think you are kind of screwed if you want to take it back apart. I have since changed mufflers, headers, and finally welded all the joints. Life is good now. Prior to welding, it always irritated me, now I never think about it. So to sum it up, clamp in a pinch, but try to get it welded up :)
Brett

zbugger
07-08-2005, 11:50 PM
You're fine clamping it together to start. Just try and take it to an exhaust shop to get it welded in place real soon. Lots of guys clamp their exhuast together and take it straight to the muffler shop for welding.

vista461
09-05-2005, 06:18 PM
I have a pypes system on my 86 442 with a 455 Olds. Fit really good and I just had to shorten one pipe up by the header collector.

cold69
09-06-2005, 01:16 PM
I've got the 2 1/2" set-up on my 69 Cam. It goes from header all the way out the back. No welds, just the hardware they supply. I drive the car very hard when I do drive it, not major problems.

alstainlessworks
09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Call us at 800-878-3635. We manufacture exhaust systems in 2 1/2" and 3" for 1st generation f cars. We offer different muffler options, with and without x pipes, and they are able to be installed with no welding.

Thanks
Al
Stainless Works