PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Chevelle paint scheme mockups/Looking for opinions

switchblade327
01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone,

My Chevelle is getting painted very soon and I'm still not 100% sure on the paint scheme. We know it's going to be light silver and gunmetal and I found some pictures of a '66 post car just like mine, so I went over them in photoshop to get an idea of what my car might look like. This car and photos belong to Cullen Hamm, not me! I only added some overlays to visualize the gunmetal sections.

Inspiration comes from Herb Lumpp's car and some of the late 60s/early 70s mopars that stuck with the black hood; I think the black hood gives it a more aggressive look. I also like the idea of blacking out the window frames, like some of the later model faux hardtops did, as well as a blacked out tail panel like some SS models had. The car is debadged except for the grill. I didn't photoshop the wheels. I'm looking for some 18" wheels similar to these Forgelines (http://www.forgeline.com/product_images/product_photo-xlarge_image-482.jpg) but this car is going to be street driven a lot and I'd rather stick with less expensive, off-the-shelf wheels. My Bel Air has Torq Thrusts but I love the look of more spokes on a PT Chevelle, like the Air Ride '66.

#1 Original concept

#2 Original + aircraft light high beams (idea from another PT thread to use aircraft landing lights for high beams!)

#3 Two-tone: One of the guys at my shop suggested it would look better full two tone. I don't really agree but I wanted to visualize it

#4 Original + blacked out bumpers: one of my bumpers need to be replaced so we discussed maybe stripping and painting them gunmetal to math the other accents.

Silver hood (extra bad, early morning photoshop to delete Cullen's hood stripe)

Silver hood, gunmetal grill

Silver hood, gunmetal grill and bumpers

Which do you like best? Or all they all butt-ugly? Any other suggestions?

switchblade327
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I just noticed there is a separate forum for paint & body NOT under technical. Mods, could you move this post to the right forum please?

chuckd71
01-05-2012, 12:01 AM
No. 2 looks pretty cool. I have a carbon hood and trunk (until I paint them in a couple years) and thought about blacking out my bumpers but after thinking about it I kind of like chrome. The prominent chrome is kind of a hallmark of these old cars and it's kind of cool to retain touches of that while modernizing elsewhere (100% opinion of course).
3 is pretty dated looking.

chevnut55
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
3 looks best,nice and classy. I never like the look of a body panel like a hood or trunk a differrent color,it looks like it cam from another car and the owner did not have time to paint it.
the silver looks great nice and clean.

switchblade327
01-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Added options 5-7 with no black hood!

Joe A Sanfilippo
10-08-2014, 04:35 PM
I like #3

Hey everyone,

My Chevelle is getting painted very soon and I'm still not 100% sure on the paint scheme. We know it's going to be light silver and gunmetal and I found some pictures of a '66 post car just like mine, so I went over them in photoshop to get an idea of what my car might look like. This car and photos belong to Cullen Hamm, not me! I only added some overlays to visualize the gunmetal sections.

Inspiration comes from Herb Lumpp's car and some of the late 60s/early 70s mopars that stuck with the black hood; I think the black hood gives it a more aggressive look. I also like the idea of blacking out the window frames, like some of the later model faux hardtops did, as well as a blacked out tail panel like some SS models had. The car is debadged except for the grill. I didn't photoshop the wheels. I'm looking for some 18" wheels similar to these Forgelines (http://www.forgeline.com/product_images/product_photo-xlarge_image-482.jpg) but this car is going to be street driven a lot and I'd rather stick with less expensive, off-the-shelf wheels. My Bel Air has Torq Thrusts but I love the look of more spokes on a PT Chevelle, like the Air Ride '66.

#1 Original concept

#2 Original + aircraft light high beams (idea from another PT thread to use aircraft landing lights for high beams!)

#3 Two-tone: One of the guys at my shop suggested it would look better full two tone. I don't really agree but I wanted to visualize it

#4 Original + blacked out bumpers: one of my bumpers need to be replaced so we discussed maybe stripping and painting them gunmetal to math the other accents.

Silver hood (extra bad, early morning photoshop to delete Cullen's hood stripe)

Silver hood, gunmetal grill

Silver hood, gunmetal grill and bumpers

Which do you like best? Or all they all butt-ugly? Any other suggestions?

Auto Rod Technologies
10-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I like 2 and 7

switchblade327
10-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Thread necro!

Thanks for the suggestions but the car has since been painted and in a last minute change, we went with a satin silver.

It looks great in the sun but in some light it can look like primer, which I don't love. Considering having it re-done in gloss.