PDA

View Full Version : quadralink install price

69cam1219
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Anyone who has had a quadralinked installed or installs them could you please post or pm the price you was charged to have it installed including the mini tubs. I was given a price and wanted to make sure its pretty competitive with other prices out there. Its getting put in a 69 camaro.I know this company does good work because I've seen the cars they are doing and they've sent some to SEMA.

MuscleRodz
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
price would very greatly depending off interior already removed, condition of other sheetmetal in the area, labor rates in your are, etc. How many hours were you quoted is a better determination.

6D9 Matt
01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Yeah hours would be a better determination. Although, for reference, I did get a quote from someone for minitub and Quadralink install for $2,200. My car is a fully finished car with full interior, just FYI.

badazz81z28
01-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Matt/Mike,

I think this answer will be very subjective. What takes me a couple hours may take someone else all day(s). The OP is looking for someone who has actually installed and charged for the job (more than one for a buddy). I recently inquired about this to Finch. The job seems pretty intensive, which I would assume its quite expensive in terms of labor alone. I would guess no less than 32 man hours. $1200-$1500 + the quadra link kit.

MuscleRodz
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Matt/Mike,

I think this answer will be very subjective. What takes me a couple hours may take someone else all day(s). The OP is looking for someone who has actually installed and charged for the job (more than one for a buddy). I recently inquired about this to Finch. The job seems pretty intensive, which I would assume its quite expensive in terms of labor alone. I would guess no less than 32 man hours. $1200-$1500 + the quadra link kit.That is why I mentioned hours, since any shop that has done a few should average across the board. 32 would not include minitubs, nor exhaust rerouting or r & r fuel tank and lines. Also have to determine if rear end is already setup ready to bolt in or brackets need welded on and narrowed. Also condition of bottom of car and how much cleanup or repaint is involved.

badazz81z28
01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
No doubt! Labor is going to hurt on this one. Lots of incidentals most don't consider up front.

That is why I mentioned hours, since any shop that has done a few should average across the board. 32 would not include minitubs, nor exhaust rerouting or r & r fuel tank and lines. Also have to determine if rear end is already setup ready to bolt in or brackets need welded on and narrowed. Also condition of bottom of car and how much cleanup or repaint is involved.

6D9 Matt
01-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Definitely... I was just throwing that out there bc it was a reference, but it all depends on location/whos doing it/specific cars.

69cam1219
01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah hours would be a better determination. Although, for reference, I did get a quote from someone for minitub and Quadralink install for $2,200. My car is a fully finished car with full interior, just FYI. Where did you get your quote? I'd like to get some other quotes. Me and my girl friend went to greening auto company last week. They was extremely nice and invited me into their shop like I was a long time friend. He let me check out some of their current projects which all had all around DSE equipment. They are definitely no stranger to installing all the DSE equipment I'm looking at. All their work looked very nice. Over the phone he gave me an "average" price but he said like y'all did that it really depends on the condition of the car. He checked out my car and will give me a price of installing the quadralink along with the mini tubs this week. I will replace the current 10 bolt with a 9 inch so that might help with the install so they won't have to do much to the rear end. They do so many of them and my car is really not in show quality condition so he said it really shouldn't take them long to do it. I'd rather pay someone more that knows what they are doing, does good work, and won't keep my car forever than try to save a buck and maybe not turn out right or not turn out good. I think greening would do a great job I just wanted to check out some other places. Its always best to do a lil research.

69cam1219
01-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I've also got full interior but I might uninstall and reinstall the interior myself

MuscleRodz
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Where did you get your quote? I'd like to get some other quotes. Me and my girl friend went to greening auto company last week. They was extremely nice and invited me into their shop like I was a long time friend. He let me check out some of their current projects which all had all around DSE equipment. They are definitely no stranger to installing all the DSE equipment I'm looking at. All their work looked very nice. Over the phone he gave me an "average" price but he said like y'all did that it really depends on the condition of the car. He checked out my car and will give me a price of installing the quadralink along with the mini tubs this week. I will replace the current 10 bolt with a 9 inch so that might help with the install so they won't have to do much to the rear end. They do so many of them and my car is really not in show quality condition so he said it really shouldn't take them long to do it. I'd rather pay someone more that knows what they are doing, does good work, and won't keep my car forever than try to save a buck and maybe not turn out right or not turn out good. I think greening would do a great job I just wanted to check out some other places. Its always best to do a lil research.jesse does quality work no doubt. if he gives you a price your willing to pay, let him do it. it will be right.

69cam1219
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
jesse does quality work no doubt. if he gives you a price your willing to pay, let him do it. it will be right.

He definitely does nice work. Just gonna get some other quotes because if he's not ALOT more then other shops I'd rather pay more and know its done right and get my car back in a reasonable amount of time. I'm gonna try to get a hold of finch and see what he says. If anyone knows a good shop in the middle TN area that has experience in installing this stuff please let me know.

6D9 Matt
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I talked to Finch a little bit ago. Ill send you a PM.

MuscleRodz
01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
He definitely does nice work. Just gonna get some other quotes because if he's not ALOT more then other shops I'd rather pay more and know its done right and get my car back in a reasonable amount of time. I'm gonna try to get a hold of finch and see what he says. If anyone knows a good shop in the middle TN area that has experience in installing this stuff please let me know.

finch would also be good if he has time.

AUTOMD
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Talked to DSE the other day and said they charge 38 hours for the tubs and 25 hours for the quadralink

Probird
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
I can see the 38 hours for the tubs but 25 for the quadralink seems a little high. Now I have never installed one but as a fabricator, I would think that it would take no longer than 12-16 hrs. Again, I have never installed one but that just seems a little high to me.

Rod
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I can see the 38 hours for the tubs but 25 for the quadralink seems a little high. Now I have never installed one but as a fabricator, I would think that it would take no longer than 12-16 hrs. Again, I have never installed one but that just seems a little high to me.

??? you have never installed one but, you can tell how long you think it takes?? :hand:

mild2wildpaintngraphics
01-10-2012, 06:09 AM
DSE should know; after all they designed both and have installed many.

badazz81z28
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Anyone get more other quotes? I'm interested too now.

killer69
12-08-2013, 11:06 AM
We charge 35-40 hours for Mini tubs (not including outer wheel houses if needed) that is just the install time if the frame rails or any other sheet metal needs repair that is additional no finishing ie box liner or paint.
The Quadralink is pretty involved like others have said. I would go with what DSE says. And again that will be on a perfect car. With no interior and probably won't include finishing. welding brackets to the rear end. then refinishing the rear end. and wont include exhaust which will need to be redone from the mufflers back as well as the fuel tank will need to be notched or replaced. Brake lines, fuel lines, Drive shaft if your changing to a 9", Rear brakes, I would bet by the time it is driving out of the shop you will be HONESTLY looking at 100+ hours. Plus all the other parts I mentioned for a complete drive in drive out job. don't fool yourself.

Rod
12-08-2013, 11:52 AM
We charge 35-40 hours for Mini tubs (not including outer wheel houses if needed) that is just the install time if the frame rails or any other sheet metal needs repair that is additional no finishing ie box liner or paint.
The Quadralink is pretty involved like others have said. I would go with what DSE says. And again that will be on a perfect car. With no interior and probably won't include finishing. welding brackets to the rear end. then refinishing the rear end. and wont include exhaust which will need to be redone from the mufflers back as well as the fuel tank will need to be notched or replaced. Brake lines, fuel lines, Drive shaft if your changing to a 9", Rear brakes, I would bet by the time it is driving out of the shop you will be HONESTLY looking at 100+ hours. Plus all the other parts I mentioned for a complete drive in drive out job. don't fool yourself.

thanks Blake! I think you are right on target, its all peripherals that get you if you're doing a great job

badazz81z28
12-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Wow.....with a $10k labor bill, who the heck can afford the work?? If I were to do it, I would get the rear end already done by DSE.

What is a low end ball park? Interior pulled, tank already notched, just the install of the kit?

MuscleRodz
12-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Wow.....with a $10k labor bill, who the heck can afford the work?? If I were to do it, I would get the rear end already done by DSE.

What is a low end ball park? Interior pulled, tank already notched, just the install of the kit?

Your quote for second gen will be vastly different than a first gen that the OP requested. The second gen is much more involved install and just the quadralink and tubs by themselves is 100+ hours.

badazz81z28
12-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow.....my dreams are crushed

killer69
12-09-2013, 07:52 AM

NO go buy a welder and a grinder and a comfy stool and get to IT!!

killer69
12-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Your quote for second gen will be vastly different than a first gen that the OP requested. The second gen is much more involved install and just the quadralink and tubs by themselves is 100+ hours.

I would say your about right on that.

badazz81z28
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
NO go buy a welder and a grinder and a comfy stool and get to IT!!

I wish I could. I'm in the military and live on base. I just can't have a project in the garage. If it's going to be down longer than a day or so (maybe a week), I could get evicted.

killer69
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I wish I could. I'm in the military and live on base. I just can't have a project in the garage. If it's going to be down longer than a day or so (maybe a week), I could get evicted.

Sorry to burst your bubble but better to know up front don't you think? then get a huge surprize when you are only 1/2 way finished.

GeoffP
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Its definitely better to know up front. I think this is why we see so many projects start and never get finished - there seems to be a pretty large misconception that a lot of this work doesn't cost that much or that it takes a good amount of time to do it right.

Rod
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but better to know up front don't you think? then get a huge surprize when you are only 1/2 way finished.

agreed

Its definitely better to know up front. I think this is why we see so many projects start and never get finished - there seems to be a pretty large misconception that a lot of this work doesn't cost that much or that it takes a good amount of time to do it right.

agreed

MrQuick
12-09-2013, 09:35 PM
On a 2nd gen we charge 40 hours to mini tub and 25 hours for the quad link IF you buy the parts from us. This does not include interior tear down. We would have to inspect the car to quote that. On average if its raggedy and stock we usually throw it in. Custom interior with a stereo system would be much more.

Our military discount would be 36 hours to mini tub and 18 hours on the quad link if parts are purchased from us.

Labor rate is $85 per hour.

icemanrd19
12-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Trying to say this as nicely as i can. If you are worried about how long bc you might not have enough money to cover it then you shouldn't do it. If you are going to mini tub and quadralink you will have 10k into the rear end.

killer69
12-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Trying to say this as nicely as i can. If you are worried about how long bc you might not have enough money to cover it then you shouldn't do it. If you are going to mini tub and quadralink you will have 10k into the rear end.

That was pretty nice................. well done

71RS/SS396
12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
You could always do it in 2 stages, Tubs first, then save to do the q-link later.

dhutton
12-10-2013, 11:21 AM

If I was in your position I would be looking long and hard at a bolt in torque arm. I am guessing you will never outdrive it. You could add the minitubs later once you do...

killer69
12-10-2013, 11:30 AM
You mean like this one?

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=9/category_id=23/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd9.htm

badazz81z28
12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

I'm worried about down time in my garage, not at the shop. I'm pretty handy, I just don't have the skills to weld nor the tools to cut. Basically that's all I would need to have done. A stripped down car, ready to work on is what the shop would see.

I agree, knowing a cost up front is pretty darn important.

BTW, can a Mini-tub even be performed without the Quadra-link? Don't the stock shock areas get cut out?

badazz81z28
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Are these it? The "Deep Tubs" or are there two different ones....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dsr-040403/overview/year/1978/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

chevelletiger
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Rob,if you need help with a welder i have and tig and mig at home,and once i get the vert top done on my daughters bmw done i can park it outsideand have room for the chevelle and you car.pay as you go deal.pm me if its good for you.
Phil

dhutton
12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
A mini tub can be done without the Quadralink. Mini tubs can be used with a number of lower cost suspension options including leafs and torque arms.

badazz81z28
12-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Do the shocks need to be relocated?

Rod
12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
PM this dude, he can help

dhutton
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Do the shocks need to be relocated?

The leaf spring kit includes the new shock mounts. This is not a big deal compared to the tubs themselves.

http://detroitspeed.com/1970-1981-F-Body-products/041222-mini-tub-kits.html

Since you are in California you should talk to Vince as suggested above. He is a highly trustworthy person.

badazz81z28
12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
The leaf spring kit includes the new shock mounts. This is not a big deal compared to the tubs themselves.

http://detroitspeed.com/1970-1981-F-Body-products/041222-mini-tub-kits.html

Since you are in California you should talk to Vince as suggested above. He is a highly trustworthy person.

Don, I was just wondering if it actually could be done in stages. The and goal is not leafs.

Rod
12-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Don, I was just wondering if it actually could be done in stages. The and goal is not leafs.

you can do the Ridetech 4 link, easy to install (i did it in my driveway/curbside) in one day and just 4 Tabs to weld on the rear axle tube (about fifteen minutes of a welders time) the motor pool has to have a dude that can weld, slip the guy a case of Coors light and presto! welded tabs great rear setup, here's my car in November(last month) at Goodguys

Or5sjsZhxlE

csouth
12-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Rob, I'm not an F body guy, but unless you're married to the DSE idea I would at least consider Ridetech. I haven't seen Rod's Camaro in person, but I've read about it in PHR to see he does well with Ridetech parts. I know if there was a less expensive, but equally performing option I would consider it only because it allows money for other things. I couldn't see someone charging more than 2hrs labor to weld those 2 sets of tabs on and the rest is up to you. If you still want to pay someone for mini tubs there is a LOT of change left over. Just my humble opinion...