PDA

View Full Version : Removable Access panel

Charles
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Gotta ask, how the heck do I make a removable access panel on my center console right below the stereo between the dash and the shifter for wiring access. Ive looked around but everything I see is completed or in the works. I was thinking of using rivet nuts on a strip of metal along the tubing for attaching the side access panel to my center console. I guess I could have made the whole console removable but almost in every car I go into the cosole is loose or falling apart. I wanted a solid 1 piece console that you could pretty much lean on and wont squeak. Any ideas??? Maybe Velcro??? I guess Ill give it all a try....Thanx :banghead:

astroracer
12-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Use the rivnuts. Makes for a solid attachment that velcro won't. I am using them to install the removable side panels in Bad Ast's engine cover.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/12/MVC012Fvi-4.jpg
Easy enough to remove when it is time to change the plugs or pull the motor and, like you said, no squeaks or rattles during use.
Mark

Charles
12-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks Mark, Thats what im leaning towards, I just have to figure out how to hide the screws under the upholstery or maybe use high end stainless screws or something to keep them exposed. Im planing on wraping the whole center console with leather and maybe some painted accents.

astroracer
12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
You could do a dimple die and use countersunk screws or use a nice chromed button head screw. For a hi-tech look use stainless Torx. You might look into a stud and socket arrangement that would be invisible and let you simply pop the panel off when required.