PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better speaker?

tonyvol
12-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, which of these speakers is better?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jnBpibAfyFq/p_1084629CFP/Infinity-Kappa-462-9cfp.html

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LsR5lvTqM7R/p_107DB461/Polk-Audio-db461.html?tab=review#customer-reviews-tab

Thanks,

Cars4Kids
12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
We have used Polk in all of our project vehicles....absolutely love them for many reasons but sound is #1

67TXStang
12-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd go with the Polk speakers. I installed them for years and think they are great.

hifi875
12-31-2011, 11:13 AM
go with the infinitys. they are 3db more efficient(twice as loud in spl terms). So in a situation where they are running off of a deck and not a amp, the infinitys will give you a little more volume compared to the polks. They will also be a little brighter sounding.

CRead01
01-01-2012, 07:27 AM
sound is one of those things that is a personal choice but I have the polk's in my camaro and am happy with them, but I had a friend with the infinity speakers and I liked those better. personally I would buy the infinity's but like I said. if there is any way you could go to a local audio shop and listen to both I would do that and make a decision from there.

tonyvol
01-02-2012, 06:03 AM
sound is one of those things that is a personal choice but I have the polk's in my camaro and am happy with them, but I had a friend with the infinity speakers and I liked those better. personally I would buy the infinity's but like I said. if there is any way you could go to a local audio shop and listen to both I would do that and make a decision from there.

Chad, do you remember if he was using an Infinity 4 X 6 speaker in the factory kick panel location?

Thanks,
Tony

CRead01
01-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Chad, do you remember if he was using an Infinity 4 X 6 speaker in the factory kick panel location?

Thanks,
Tony

actually he had a 89 camaro and I am pretty sure they were in the dash.

Kenny
01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't know where you are mounting these but neither work well without a component mid-bass. They are both quality speakers. You really need to audition them and make sure the Infinity will fit your application with the offset magnet(sometimes they don't). I have used both of these, and for my taste, the Polk tweeters sounded too subdued and the Infinity sounded "forced" or harsh. Both of them needed to be crossed over above 150Hz to have any power handling. I pulled a set of these off the shelf http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7938-15-mc462-memphis-4-x-6-mclass-coaxial-speakers.aspx and the tweeters sounded much better and it had good mids with a tiny bit more bottom than the others. They worked really well with 100 wpc amp crossed at 150. The Memphis aluminum/magnesium tweeters really stand out as far as sound quality. Do not put any weight into speaker specifications..... it means less than nothing. It is all in the listening. Also keep in mind that it takes 10 db increase for something to sound twice as loud. That is ten times more power, because our ears are not linear. 3db is twice the power but is only perceptible in A/B testing, and again, the specs between 2 different mfgs means nothing.

If these are gonna be your only speakers for front stage (no mid-bass), I highly recommend figuring a way to adapt a 5-1/4" (or more) round setup. In this case, the Polk Signature Series is brilliant if the budget allows :smoke:

nekkidhillbilly
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
had both before i like kappas better