PDA

View Full Version : New project: Rebuild a monster

Danny Humphreys
12-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to say hey, introduce myself, and throw my latest project out there. My name is Danny Humphreys and I’ve been drag racing for about 25 years. I have a Porsche 928 drag car that I originally built for street use as a pro-touring type car, but progressed into a drag race only car. I retired it about 5 years ago because it’s a mild steel cage and was too fast for SFI specs. (4.40’s in the 1/8th mile) I built another race car since then and sold it and am ready to put this thing back on the street. I had it set up with 17’s all around and 315/35 drag radials on the back with a 540” pump gas motor originally. It had an Alston street 4 link with urethane bushings 2x3 frame rails and a Fab 9 rearend. Car saw limited street use and ran 5.70’s on pump gas and a nitrous/alky set up. Then things got out of control, I redid the backhalf, put in a screw blown chevy motor, and it progressed from there. As it sits now it is a round tube chassis from firewall back, with the stock front Porsche suspension (stock-ish, coilovers and pinto rack and pinion), so my rear suspension is pretty much a blank canvas.
Where I’m headed with this project is going back to an all purpose, kick ass street car. I have already acquired a 572” Chevy motor, and plan on topping it with a Whipple supercharger/ fuel injection to the tune of around 1200 hp on pump gas. Gonna go back to the 17’s, redo the backhalf again with a wider 4 link setup with a watts, but also put a 3 link mount in as well so I can change to more of a road race setup just by swapping a few bars. Plans are to run a Turbo 400 with a 3.08 gear and take it to the Texas Mile also. Looking forward to getting started on it and getting it back on the street. I’ve been researching a lot of threads on here and will try to do updates as often as possible. Attached are some pix of the Porsche in various stages, as well as my last 2 racecars. I still have the 58 Corvette ProMod for sale if anyone is interested. Feel free to throw ideas or suggestions my way, I’m new to this corner turning thing. I do all my own work except paint and body, so if anyone needs any help in anything not related to turning corners, just holler. OK and apaprently I need some practice on attaching pictures as well.

instro84
12-29-2011, 09:11 PM
nice car, i always like that body style.

454bug
12-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow! That carb'd BBC looks right at home in that engine bay! :twothumbs

I look forward to seeing your progress.

You may want to get one of the moderators to move this thread to the "Project Updates" section...

MrQuick
12-29-2011, 09:48 PM
welcome to the site...your an official mad man!!