PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Camaro Instrument Cluster?

third base
07-07-2005, 02:29 PM
First of all what do you think, Covans or DS&E? How hard is the process of installation for each from all angles? Thanks!

toxicz28
07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
A buddy of mine has the Covan's cluster. I checked it out, and it seemed really flimsy, almost squishy. I had my mind made up about getting the DSE dash long before that. It was just that whole "metal" thing that I liked. I wasn't too crazy about the price, but after they dropped the price, and I found out about the GP, I jumped. Really glad I did! The quality is great!!!

toxicz28
07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
:doh: :dunno: :confused: :slap:

CAMAROBOY69
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
DSE. I mean just look at this!!!! How do you think I got my inspiration to put 5" gauges into a 2002 Dash??!!
$550.00 seems steep but there is a lot of work involved in making gauge pods like that.

third base
07-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Sounds like DS&E is the way to go. I will order it on monday. Thanks guys:cheers:

69zz3
07-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I decided to use the original instrument cluster and install an AutoMeter tach and speedo gauges. Then I made a custom console to incorporate 4 gauges, water, oil, amp and fuel. It was a bit time consuming but I am very happy with the results.

sunkistcamaro
07-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Great job!!
I like the center console, did you take any pics while you were building it?

third base
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Now that the DSE dash is on it's way, I was wondering what size guages I should use? I have already purchased two 5" and four 2 5/8". Now that I have the gauges, they look a little big (2 5/8") I still need to incorporate the the vent in the dash(stock location). Is this setup too big? Should i use 2 1/16" gauges instead? since the dash is on it's way I haven't been able to size everything together. Those of you who have the DSE dash, what did you use? Thanks - Garrett

rocketrod
07-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Now that the DSE dash is on it's way, I was wondering what size guages I should use? I have already purchased two 5" and four 2 5/8". Now that I have the gauges, they look a little big (2 5/8") I still need to incorporate the the vent in the dash(stock location). Is this setup too big? Should i use 2 1/16" gauges instead? since the dash is on it's way I haven't been able to size everything together. Those of you who have the DSE dash, what did you use? Thanks - Garrett

Typically with the DSE dash people run two 5" gauges and the remaining are 2-1/16. Obviously you can customize the layout, but I imagine your layout options will be limited with 2-5/8" gauges. For what its worth I am using two 5" and five 2-1/16" gauges in my DSE dash.

CAMAROBOY69
07-18-2005, 03:47 AM
Gauges look good but your console is awesome! Great job with that. Well worth the time and effort you put into it.

69zz3
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Great job!!
I like the center console, did you take any pics while you were building it?

I have a couple of pics while I was test fitting it in the car.

CAMAROBOY69
07-21-2005, 05:40 AM
69zz3
Thanks for sharing your before and after pics. :headbang:

third base
07-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Well the DSE dash came yesterday and it looks awsome. I only have one beef though. Is it really worth $650 let alone the $750 that it originally was. I like it, don't get me wrong on that, it is a great product. But, what makes this thing worth $650, there nothing really to it? What do you guys think? Am I wrong?

CAMAROBOY69
07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Well the DSE dash came yesterday and it looks awsome. I only have one beef though. Is it really worth $650 let alone the $750 that it originally was. I like it, don't get me wrong on that, it is a great product. But, what makes this thing worth $650, there nothing really to it? What do you guys think? Am I wrong?
That dash piece is easily worth $750. Believe me I know from physical building and designing experience. Keep in mind they designed it first, then they have to make that entire piece from a flat piece of sheet metal.
original design $$$
sheet metal $$$$
labor to build $$$
Easily worth $750. Also keep in mind its a direct bolt in which means they had to set up a jig or multiple jigs so that every single piece would be the same.

Patrick Burrell
07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
It may have $750 worth of engineering and fabrication in it, but it wasn't worth it to me to have that particular dash insert for that much money. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of DSE. But I bought the Nova dash insert from Covan's for my 69 Camaro for $200. Sure it's plastic rather than steel but it has been in the car for 2 years without a problem. I haven't switched over to the Nova dash pad yet because I'm waiting to do the rest of the interior after the suspension and drivetrain are sorted out. The 69 Camaros and Novas have the same dash structure so these parts bolt right in. I will have a small rectangular space to fill in to the right of the dash insert, or I might fabricate a bracket to hold my MP3 player and mount it there instead. Then I can return to the Camaro insert and pad if I want someday.

I can post some pictures later if you want to see the Nova insert in a Camaro.

third base
07-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I would love to see some picks!

Patrick Burrell
07-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Here you go. The insert is too shiny in bare plastic. I will paint it when I complete the whole interior. It also looks pretty bad without the dash pad. But I've seen a few pictures of cars with the Nova dash swap in a Camaro and the final result looks pretty good in my opinion.

Rick Dorion
07-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Very nice Patrick. I like the clean look.

CAMAROBOY69
07-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Patrick,
I never realized the nova dash would fit right in the 69 Camaro. Looks good and hard to believe its plasic. Looks like a good product. Is that in the Nova or in the 69 Camaro?

Patrick Burrell
07-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Those are pictures of the dash in my Camaro. The speedo and tach probably seem a little small compared to yours, Adam! I originally bought these gauges for my V8 S10 Blazer which had a very small instrument panel. I traded the Blazer to my dad to get the Camaro back and I kept the gauges. So far I'm happy with them but when the interior is all completed I may see if I can fit the bigger gauges in.

When I pulled the Covan's dash out of the box, I was surprised how flimsy it seemed. But it seems nice and sturdy actually mounted in the car.

So I definitely took a cheaper path from the very nice DSE insert, but so far I'm happy with how it's turning out.

CAMAROBOY69
07-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Are those 3 3/8" gauges? I was actually comparing them to the pic I posted of the Mule above. Yours look really nice in there. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just because you didnt run 5" gauges in there doesnt mean they look bad.
Besides if you want 5" all you have to do is cut the holes bigger for them. :icon996:

CAMAROBOY69
09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Patrick,
I just noticed your avatar?! Can you start a new thread and show us more pics of your car? I really like the orange stripes on the black car.