PDA

View Full Version : 351 MPEFI intake?

firemsam
12-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey all,
I am reaching out for some suggestions. I want to build a 351w based stroker motor with efi but i hate the "5.0" style intakes they used in the efi 5.8s. I prefer the look of a 4 brl carb but would like to have port injection. Now to my question, is there a good intake that can be easily modified with injector bungs or has spots to be machined for injectors out there? also i am looking for a "mild" build, operating in the range of about 1500 to 6500... or if anyone has any better ideas for me that would be cool too... Thanks for all the help in advance

oestek
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
How about an Eddie Super Victor 351 -

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

"FORD 351W V8
SUPER VICTOR 351W EFI (Up to 8500 rpm)
Super Victor 351W EFI is based on the Super Victor 351W manifold #2924. Designed for high rpm or large displacement high performance 351 Windsor Ford V8s with a deck height of 9.5" which operate between 4500 and 8500 rpm. Can be used with ported cast iron or aftermarket aluminum heads, such as Edelbrock Victor Jr. #77169 or Victor heads #77219 for ultra high-horsepower. Runners have a 3.20 square-inch cross sectional area."

If you're interested, shoot me a PM and we can check on pricing for you to see if there are any deals right now.

firemsam
12-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe i am not understanding it right or something but the operates between 4500-8500 rpm isnt something i think fits with my plans... i will drive this car a lot on the road and do a little autox and such but mostly spirited driving, it will never see 8500 rpm or much over 6000 so better than half the operating range (which i assume means peak performance range) is lost to me... would i be better off getting an dual plane mild intake and modifing it?

andrewb70
12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
What about using a 1993-1995 SVT Lightning intake manifold?

Andrew

firemsam
12-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I am not familiar with those. what do they look like?

andrewb70
12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
I am not familiar with those. what do they look like?

Looks like a five point slow intake.

Andrew

firemsam
12-22-2011, 06:29 PM
The lightning intakes are hard to find and also has that same design i dont like. I want to stay away from the type of intake style on this page.
http://www.thatmetalbox.com/automotive/Mustang50Intake/

I would prefer either a 4 barrel throttle body style or something sleeker like the LS style intakes (i know the second one is impossible to get on a windsor motor) but i like the clean balanced look instead of the whopsided off center look of the 5.0/5.8L intakes...

So am I pretty much going to have to buy an airgap or similar and weld bungs in the runners to get the setup i want? and if i have to go that way how hard is that to accomplish aside from tig welding?

oestek
12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I hear what you're saying on the RPM range being pretty high. Hood clearance might be an issue also.

You might want to just cruise the RacingJunk.com and look for a used piece that someone already welded bungs into. I'll keep looking...

firemsam
12-23-2011, 08:56 AM
thanks kevin i will check it out

oestek
12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Any luck?

andrewb70
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
A dual plane is not going to help much in terms of reducing the optimum operating range. The operating range is generally determined by the length of the runners and the runner on a dual plane are only slightly longer than on a single plane. That's why Ford came up with the long runner intake that was first used on the 87 5.0L Mustangs. Because of the front mounted distributor on Windsors you aren't going to find anything that looks like a LS intake. The other alternative is to use a tunner ram intake that has been modified for EFI use but those present an issue with hood clearance.

Given all options I see nothing wrong with using the Edelbrock intake.

Andrew

dusterbd13
01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
just saw one on ebay with rails and throttle body for like 600 bucks. its probably a chinese knockoff, but it will get you started.

i had this same debate with myself. i finally decided that the voctor jr. i had made 375 ft/lbs on my small block throughout the RPM range. i swapped to a dual plane, and didnt notice much better low end torque. lot better throttle response, though (this was carbd). im converting my victor for EFI. wont have nearly the same drivability trpouble with it as it doesnt need as stron of a vacuum signal.

michael

firemsam
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for that insight Andrew. But that poses the question now of what is a good intake for low to mid range power? I haven't had much time to do much more research on it lately due to holiday stuff and building a read bumper for my daily driver jeep to hold my excessively large fill sized spare. I have been thinking of doing a crank trigger ignition and blocking off the distributor hole and making it batch fire efi but I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do.

bigd427w
01-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Hey all,
I am reaching out for some suggestions. I want to build a 351w based stroker motor with efi but i hate the "5.0" style intakes they used in the efi 5.8s. I prefer the look of a 4 brl carb but would like to have port injection. Now to my question, is there a good intake that can be easily modified with injector bungs or has spots to be machined for injectors out there? also i am looking for a "mild" build, operating in the range of about 1500 to 6500... or if anyone has any better ideas for me that would be cool too... Thanks for all the help in advance

Why not modify the Edelbrock Perf. RPM, or the Weiand Stealth Intake manifold? You can buy an EFI conversion kit from Holley (550-500). That includes the 4bbl 4150 style throttle body, semi finished fuel rails, injector bungs, regulator, ecu, harness's, sensors, and data cable. You just provide the manifold, fabrication skills, and injectors. I have a shop local that does the conversions for me at a reasonable cost. I know wilson manifolds still offers the service as well.

tigerracer
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
54562I have a TWM system for a 351w, new in the box, that I can give you a good deal on. Looks like Webbers, same system Rousch uses on their crate motors. I have this system on a 331 small block that makes 498 hp and 420 ft lb torque, great low end and mid range. Heres a pic of it installed on my 331. If you are interested send me a PM. WOW, sorry for the huge pic, I'm semi computer illiterate!

Dale

torino420
01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Just saw this on ebay, not sure on the quality of this particular brand of manifold but it looks to be EFI ready.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-FORD-351W-Aluminum-EFI-Intake-Manifold-SBF-Mustang-/260898023840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbebbe9a0

firemsam
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Bigd I had not seen that from Holley but I did know they were making efi stuff I will look into that!
Tiger I love that look and would love to use that but I'm not comfortable with that much linkage on a car I will drive a lot... my commute to work will.nearly put 10k a year on this car and I only work every fourth day so I do a lot of short trips and I just don't feel comfortable with that much linkage but it looks awesome!

Derek@ModernSpeed
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Just saw this on ebay, not sure on the quality of this particular brand of manifold but it looks to be EFI ready.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-FORD-351W-Aluminum-EFI-Intake-Manifold-SBF-Mustang-/260898023840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbebbe9a0

That intake manifold is a Pro Comp unit. More or less a knock off of the Edelbrock.

I had Larry Combine accounts for me since I had forgotten my login information. I am "bigd427w" and have first hand experience with the Holley EFi. It has more features per $$$ than the other top tier efi systems out there.

fordsbyjay
04-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I have a TWM system for a 351w, new in the box, that I can give you a good deal on. Looks like Webbers, same system Rousch uses on their crate motors. I have this system on a 331 small block that makes 498 hp and 420 ft lb torque, great low end and mid range. Heres a pic of it installed on my 331. If you are interested send me a PM. WOW, sorry for the huge pic, I'm semi computer illiterate!

Dale

Dale I sent you a Pm.

fordsbyjay
04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I would use a victor jr. I have used the RPM air gap and the vic jr and the jr will make about 20 more hspr and 20 ftlb less then the air gap. FI is different when it comes to manifold requirements though. Every kit you see out there will have a single plane intake for efi applications.

Here is the Edelbrock version for mpefi.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/efi_ford.shtml

There are multiple companies using a throttle body with injectors that bolt onto a regular intake like Holley, and FAST off of the top of my head.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/

MSD has new system out plus there are others that look like a carb.
http://www.msdignition.com/