PDA

View Full Version : g-mod via adjustable c-shaft

rattus
07-07-2005, 01:25 AM
For awhile I've had an idea about a new way to do the g-mod w/ out cutting new holes in the upper mount. I've been playing around w/ Solidworks a little and did a quick-n-dirty model:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The cool thing about this design is that one could test and tune relocation points using the tab inserts (like DSE and circle track stuff uses). This way suspension geometry could be optimized for specific setups.

Has anyone tried this before?

TitoJones
07-07-2005, 07:41 AM
As cool as that would be, it will not clear the frame.
The crossshaft would contact the frame as you tried to slide it down, and the arm would contact the mount as you tried the same thing.
Tyler

rattus
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
"...it will not clear the frame."

Yeah, I thought this may be a problem, but "in theory" it should work w/ aftermarket UCAs. When the c-shaft is slid down into g-mod position the bottom of the c-shaft will be in same position as the stock shaft so it should clear the tapered lower portion of the frame mount. Just in case one could cut a chamfer on the lower edge (facing the frame mount).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The stock UCAs will hit the top of the frame mount, but this is a problem w/ the traditional g-mod also (remedied by dog ear cutting the mounts), so the stock UCAs probably wouldn't clear the adjustable c-shaft (but maybe one could chamfer down the top corners of the shaft). Aftermarket UCAs should clear the shaft though.

The main advantage would be the ability to dial in the mount location when using aftermarket UCAs (and not having to cut holes in the mount, it would be a simple bolt on). Also, if one is planning to use tall ball joints or tall spindles in conjunction w/ the g-mod the adjustable shaft would provide the ability to optimize the relocation position.

WS6
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
how would you get that into the a arms physically? unless the first gens are different every UCA cross shaft ive seen has to drop through the one end on the arm into the one bushing. then the second bushing is installed in the arm and onto the shaft at the same time. if that didnt make sense the crossshaft has always had to fit through the a arm bushing hole from my experience

rattus
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
"how would you get that into the a arms physically?"

That is a good point. I guess that the round extrusions (that project through the bushings) could be replaced w/ studs. Global west does this w/ their offset shafts (part #702). Then the studs could be threaded into place through the UCA bushing housings.

GetMore
09-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Now you have another problem. If you use studs you will need more material arount their holes, making the block much thicker. Otherwise the stud holes will strip out.

rallyrat427
09-26-2005, 11:41 PM
you could have it be thicker and then have recessed slider holes ... dont know if that makes sence ... dont really know how to word what im picturing

OR ... what about making slots on the frame???? .... if slippage was an issue you could have a sort of stretched washer with teeth or grooves in it and then cut teeth or grooves in the cross shaft?