PDA

View Full Version : Level frontend

malibujason79
12-20-2011, 04:29 AM
The front of my car does not sit level, the pass. side wheel well to tire gap is about 1/4" to 5/16" greater than the drivers side. Ive measured every place I can to check to see if its body bushings, suspension, etc and all seems to check out ok. Can I trim alittle off the pass. spring to make my car sit level without having any negative effect ?

Bryce
12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
If you disconnect the sway bars, front and rear does that change anything?
If you are in the car does that make a change?

67zo6Camaro
12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Try using the frame and suspension parts as the source for measuring. This is the critical areas that matter the most. Body panels flex and or droop over the years and can be adjusted for the visual clearance over the wheel well. As, Bryce mentioned, the sway bar and your driver weight may change the balance of the car. If you have access to a car rack, drive it up and raise it. Check the level of the rack at the contact with the wheels (using a digital level with a zero reset helps big time), then start measuring and checking the frame and suspension for level and compare and/or calculate with the rack/tire surface for the referance point to true level to the world. This is the best starting point. Then work your way out to body panels.... and eventually you will find many slight variations. Work with the suspension and frame ones first. And if the wheel well gaps still look off you will need to make body shim and panel adjustments. I would not trim springs unless one is off from the other. They should be equal in length as different lengths will change the spring rate. Suspension should be the same on both sides and adjustments to the suspension should be for fine tuning performance not for visual gaps. Make sure the frame and suspension are level first then adjust the body to look right. Keep in mind most people only are able to look at one side of the car at a time, you may be the only one that notices that the wheel well gap is slightly off. Most cars are.

Good luck.

bret
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
In order of possible causes:

front spring
rear spring
general suspension bind
fender alignment
rubber tape measure
general structure fatigue

I gotta tell ya...1/4" to 5/16" difference...I would not be worried. Go measure a new car...I've seen them over 1/2" off right from the factory!