PDA

View Full Version : Got some bad news yesterday...

astroracer
12-20-2011, 03:35 AM
My dog has cancer of the spleen. The vet said he may have 2 or 3 months left. He has been vomiting his food for a couple of weeks now and we thought he was just eating to fast. You know how dogs are. I noticed his belly was getting really bloated Saturday so my wife took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. We thought he may have a partially blocked bowel but it is not that easy. The vet said it is fairly far along and removing his spleen now will not solve the problem.
We got some anti-nausia and pain pills for him and all we can do is keep him quiet and comfortable. I will have him put down when I see he is in too much pain.
Sorry for crying on everyones shoulder.
Mark

Taylor1969
12-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Man does he ever hit home. I have a schnoodle that looks almost identical to him. I can only imagine how bad you feel.

Ash
12-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Had to put my cat of 17 years down several months back. Had him since he was a kitten. Indeed, it's pretty rough when you're counting down those days. Goes without saying, but spending a lot of extra personal time and snapping a couple extra pictures with the family will do wonders after the fact.

After I found out the bad news, I started sitting out on the second story porch for a couple hours a day, as mine sunbathed and napped on my lap, purring like crazy. Just sat there feeling the warmth, the breeze, and listening to nature. It was extremely therapeutic, and in retrospect, definitely helped override that final traumatic memory as the default.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through Mark.

Bryce
12-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Mark,

Sorry to hear that bud. Dogs are awesome. I recently had to put my dog to sleep. She fought the cancer for almost a year. Through chemo and radiation. She was happy up until the last day.

andrewb70
12-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Mark,

Just spoil him rotten and make him feel loved. It's all you can do. Be strong...

Andrew

solarguy09
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Mark.

You are sharing something special with us, and I thank you.

Hang tough. I have many furry friends that i have lost. One, a Dog to cancer.

I am a lover of animals more than people.

Cherish the last days, and know that you did everything you could...

Animals lives are so much shorter than ours....

Bless you and your sweet dog..

SparkyRnD
12-20-2011, 06:57 AM
take him for a ride through a few drive-thru's and get him some cheeseburgers with lots of bacon

Bryce
12-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Mark,

Just spoil him rotten and make him feel loved. It's all you can do. Be strong...

Andrew

Do this!

astroracer
12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks a ton guys! It is going to be tough, I know. We have been through this before and I appreciate all of the support. You can bet he will be spoiled rotten (not that he isn't already :) ). He has never had a cheeseburger... He might like that... He loves the cookouts we have in the summer so we will be doing a couple of those in the next few weeks while he can still enjoy them.
Thanks again.
Mark

dropit69
12-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear about him..your are in our thoughts and prayers..

moreHP
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I understand your pain. I had a dog who got cancer in the spleen too and its a helpless feeling. Hang in there and enjoy the time you have left with him. Theres no words that can really help but know that you are not alone in going through this.

cheapthrillz
12-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Sucks... just try to remember that we get more attached to them than they do to us....

We have a 12 year old salt and pepper that has a cancerous tumor as well. Good luck.

justin51986
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
i'd be lost without my dog... i can't imagine how you are feeling, keep your chin up and we'll all be thinking about ya

Damn True
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I've been there. We had to put down our Bullmastiff back in August. She succumbed to lymphoma. My second dog to pass by that malady.

http://thedamntrueexperiment.blogspot.com/2011/08/saying-goodbye.html

Get busy with the treats, all he can eat, whenever he wants. We started giving Roxy medium-rare calfs liver mixed with white rice toward the end. It was the only thing she'd eat. Normal "dog food" was just too rough on her.

Protour_Pinto
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Just remember the times you had together. Its a shame they dont live longer than they do but you have the memory that you gave him the best life you could. Remember there are others that need our help also. I have had so many pets I have lost count but that does not stop me from doing it again.

SRD art
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I think it goes without saying many of us have been in your shoes. We feel your pain and wish for the best. It's always a bit of a shock at first but at least knowing ahead of time allows us to say goodbye in our final months, weeks and days. Enjoy your time together while you have it. I like the bbq and take extra photos idea.

Church teaches us that we can be with our loved ones again, I'm pretty sure that pets count as loved ones too.

TT302Z28
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I lost my dog to cancer too a few years back. Very sorry to read about your pain.

astroracer
02-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks Guys,
Bert is not doing well. He is still active and still likes to play but he is getting so bloated it is hard for him to breathe. He isn't eating anything but "DT's" (Dog Treats) and it is impossible for me to refuse them to him now. He is pretty much wasting away, I can tell when he is hurting, we have pain medication for him but I think it is getting close to that time.
Mark

neki67
02-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Don't wait too lang Mark . . . . I know it's difficult but at least you can save him from a painfull passing. I had the Vet come over to my house to do it so my dog could pass in her own beloved surroundings. She was always very afraid for the Vet and I didn't want her to die in fear.

406 Q-ship
02-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks Guys,
Bert is not doing well. He is still active and still likes to play but he is getting so bloated it is hard for him to breathe. He isn't eating anything but "DT's" (Dog Treats) and it is impossible for me to refuse them to him now. He is pretty much wasting away, I can tell when he is hurting, we have pain medication for him but I think it is getting close to that time.
Mark

When you make the decision, take the day off from work and spend it with your buddy. It will leave you with good memories and Bert with great comfort.

Don't wait too lang Mark . . . . I know it's difficult but at least you can give him a painfull passing. I had the Vet come over to my house to do it so my dog could pass in her own beloved surroundings. She was always very afraid for the Vet and I didn't want her to die in fear.

This is great advice, Rene

BulldawgMusclecars
02-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear about that; I went through something similar with our lab/Akita mix a couple of years ago. I have lost many pets over the years, but this one hit me the hardest. Fortunately, she didn't seem to be affected too much until right at the end, and she passed in the car on the way to the emergency vet.

Red Rocker
02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
55227My heart goes out to you. We just loss a cat we had for 20yrs. Mans other best friend.

02-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I had to put our Golden down last year.....right thing to do, but it still hurts.

astroracer
02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words guys. My heart goes out to all of you.
Bert is gone, we took him this morning. I spent the evening with him last night and the morning today but he was so uncomfortqable. His belly was so bloated he couldn't lay down and it was really hard for him to breathe. It was time. We brought him home and buried him next to the party pit. He loved the cook outs, he would go crazy when he saw us getting the fire started and setting up for a party. He was good boy and he will be missed.
Thanks again for your words and pictures, very much appreciated.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/02/74mvc001fvi-1.jpg
Mark

Red Rocker
02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm so sorry Mark.

trex1270
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
So sorry to hear of your lose! I could not image loosing my 13 year old German Shorthair Pointer. My girlfriend told me she could not imagine me with out Buddy. I know it's hard, but it is so worth having a pet. When you meet that puppy and smell the puppies breath, you know at that point he will break your heart one day.

solarguy09
02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words guys. My heart goes out to all of you.
Bert is gone, we took him this morning. I spent the evening with him last night and the morning today but he was so uncomfortqable. His belly was so bloated he couldn't lay down and it was really hard for him to breathe. It was time. We brought him home and buried him next to the party pit. He loved the cook outs, he would go crazy when he saw us getting the fire started and setting up for a party. He was good boy and he will be missed.
Thanks again for your words and pictures, very much appreciated.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/02/74mvc001fvi-1.jpg
Mark

He will always be with you.. You were a good friend to him..Sorry for your loss..

Mike V.

hifi875
02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
so sorry to hear about this. I had to put my 15 year old dog down a couple of years ago. One of the worst days of my life. like was said earlier,he will always be with you.

Mike

BuzzKillian
02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I feel for you and your family! I know how tough it is to lose a friend.

cheapthrillz
02-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, we had to put our Schnauzer down yesterday morning..... he live a great 13 year life.

astroracer
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys,
Sorry for YOUR loss JC, Schnauzer's are great dogs. My aunt had one that was very smart. The vet thought Bert may have been part Schnauzer, he was definetly a Hienz 57 kinda dog but he was very smart also and so good natured.
Mark

solarguy09
02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, we had to put our Schnauzer down yesterday morning..... he live a great 13 year life.

Sorry about your buddy too... I dread the day , I have to do it again myself...You never forget, you just move on, because you have to.

406 Q-ship
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Mark, You gave Bert the greatest gift, your love. In return he will forever be in your heart. Loss of a pet is one of the hardest things. My condolences.

RIP Bert