PDA

View Full Version : What makes an effective seat for street, autocross, etc

dontlifttoshift
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Like it says what makes a good seat a good seat? Not looking for a specific brand, but what features on a seat hold your body in place.

The reason I ask what seems like a strange, basic question is that I am married to a bench seat (and lap belts only) and I autocross quite a bit. 60 seconds of autocross is better than a half hour of pilates for my core and my steering column is really taking a beating. So what can I do for my seat to help support me?

Thanks
Donny

Rod
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I like a seat with more of a bucket to hold my ass in place, I was using a factory seat the first year, with lap belts, and then I switched to a fixed back bucket and I noticed my feet weren't holding me into position and they only had to throttle, clutch and brake and my hands only steered, it made me a little faster

dontlifttoshift
12-17-2012, 05:32 AM
DUDE! It is hilarious that the first reply to this thread after a year, was today. I spent a few hours yesterday and gutted the interior of the roadster and stripped down some buckets seats I had.

I agree with the ass planting, but after drinving some other stuff over the summer I think supporting the torso at the ribcage is going to have huge effects on being able to drive the car and not have to hold on to the steering wheel to stay upright.

Thanks for the input.

rustomatic
12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Since I don't possess a great quantity of ass, I've found that my shoulder bolsters are the most supportive areas in my seats. I tried using my stock Falcon seats after I initially tightened up the suspension, but it was just way too hard to stay in the seat and pay attention to the road. I went with cheap fabric-covered (high-back) buckets from Summit, which were actually free after I sold my original seats. They're far better (and way more supportive) than the seats in my 2012 Honda...

parsonsj
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Not quite an answer, but I've written about this before:

http://blog.iimuchfabrication.com/?p=85

Rod
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Most good racing seats have Torso and shoulder Cupping of some sort, I switched to a Corbeau one piece seat, it really helped but when youre autocrossing having the ass in place was the best part, the shoulder cupping is good in a corner to lean against, then your body is held in place during the weight transfer with butt and torso

and Donny I dig your Tag Line, support your local speed shop! how olds your shop brother! were 50 years young this year

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/01/Photo0021-1.jpg

dontlifttoshift
12-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Rod, we are going into our 32nd year, I have been here 13 now, since I was 19. Congrats on 50 years, that's pretty cool!

I am trying to get bench seat as supportive as it can be, still be comfortable on the long haul, and I need some adjustment so that I can fit AND my short legged but but better driving wife can still do her thing behind the wheel. In short I want it all.....

So bring it guys, what features do you love about your seat when you are in a full lock powerslide?

Rod
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I am trying to get bench seat as supportive as it can be, still be comfortable on the long haul, and I need some adjustment so that I can fit AND my short legged but but better driving wife can still do her thing behind the wheel. In short I want it all.....

^^^^^^^^^
:hand:

my better Half autocrosses also, she slides the seat all the way forward and then I have a 1 1/2" inch thick pad she also puts behind her back, take pictures Donny I gotta see what happens, if shes shorter than you there no way your going to ride seatcover with her driving in a bench

eric1967
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Velcro!!

rustomatic
12-18-2012, 10:38 PM
I think that during a slide, I do make use of the hip bolsters more, as gravity pushes them (hips) further sideways than my shoulders; then again, maybe they work more than I realize. Perhaps the definition of a good seat, when pushing through turns, is one that you can't explain the effects of, because it just plain does its job...

chevelletiger
12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Off topic sorry,but what size corbeau seats are the one your running rod?i have a 36-38 waist...so my mid section is pretty round!

Rod
12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Off topic sorry,but what size corbeau seats are the one your running rod?i have a 36-38 waist...so my mid section is pretty round!

Corbeau Forza wide fits me and I'm also a 38

dontlifttoshift
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know where I could source the ultra cool reclining mechanisms that use a wheel for infinite adjustment as opposed to a lever and ratchet setup? Otherwise it's back to the boneyard and scrounge something up.

1973ta
01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Recaro has been using the wheel setup (for reclining)for a while on their manual adjusting seats. And will have great support. You can fork up for new ones or maybe find some nice used ones you can gut. They have made factory seats for a lot of cars for a long time but I'm not sure if they will all have the same set-up.

Classic Nova & Performance
01-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Side bolsters on the base and upright, but the seat needs to fit your body type. I prefer an aftermarket harness system over factory lap or lap/shoulder belts. As was said earlier, if you can focus on driving & not worry about keeping yourself in place you will be more comfortable and most likely drive better.