PDA

View Full Version : Advice on car cover

parsonsj
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
My car is coming back from paint soon, and I want to get a car cover for it when it is stored in the garage when I'm not working on it.

I still have some minor fabrication to do, and I'd feel a lot better if the fresh paint had a little protection.

Anybody have any recommendations? I've got a California Car Cover catalog sitting right here on my desk ...

thanks!
jp

BRIAN
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Last year I was looking for a cover for my 62 Rambler when after calling a few places one of the dealers asked me if I had called someone else regarding the cover. I explained that yes I was shopping. He then informed me that they all use I believe Covercraft to make them and then distribute them under different names. In the end I used Cal Car Covers and had a nightmare of a deal. The owner did call me and attempt to make things right though. It took 4 months to get a cover due to a salseman simply not listening to my measurements thinking he knew the car better than me.
I purchased the nylon style vs the flannel and it is less prone to scratch the paint. It also provides minor water coverage in case you get caught in the rain. Hard to understand that it doesn't scratch but it doesn't and my car is 1/2 black. If you have ANY body mods that would alter the shape explain this at the time you order. The fit very tight and every modification has to be accounted for. A little advise would be to have the measurements faxed to you if you make an alteration this way you have it in writting. I did and that is what saved me. These are not the $50 Pep Boys covers but are probably close to $400 all said and done. Oh yeah buy the Cal Duster it is worth it's weight in gold. Nothing cleans off a car like that thing. And yes as advertized it gets better with age to an extent.

BRIAN
07-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I just saw the fresh paint note. Be careful and ask for their recommendation on covering fresh paint. There is a waiting period especially if it wasn't baked in a booth.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I just bought a cheapie pep boys cover I think it's made my covercraft like Brian said. I mainly bought it to cover the car for the 4th of July, so I didn't need anything expensive. I just wanted to comment on the fresh paint--There is a pretty big warning label on the cover saying not to cover fresh paint for atleast 6 months, and that they will not cover any damages, nor will the painter. Just a quick heads up.

parsonsj
07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
No good with fresh paint, huh?

I have two choices: put the car by my welding bench and hope for the best. Or put the car by the main door going into the house and hope my darling children and lovely wife don't scratch it going in or out.

Damn, I don't like either choice. Perhaps just put the cover on during transport and while actually working near it? Leave it off the rest of the time? :help:

jp

Roger Poirier
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
JP,

Per my experience with various covers. The premium covers that are made for your car will fit much better. The concern should be, is it to protect the car or just keep the dust off.

Protect Car: I would go with flannel. I have set all kinds of BS on it. Excellent protection. Heavy and more work to put on.

Cover for dust only: Nylon, however you will get no protection.
Easy to install.

Some wear in between: My Saleen cover has some very lightweight material. I don't know what it is made out of. Might be the best of both worlds.

I start with a google search. As you and I both know. More R&D=better results.

Hope this helps. R.P.

BRIAN
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
My cover isn't exactly nylon I just didn't know how to describe it. It is the top of the line from Cal Covers. It looks like it will scratch but blows away the flannel in the scratch free dept. Call them in regards to the time lapse for fresh paint. I baked my respray of the top half and recovered within 2 weeks with 0 problems and it's black.

steemin
07-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Subscribing.
Looking for a cover for my 65 Fastback.
Scott

parsonsj
07-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks everybody. I'll be talking to the painter and Cal Covers and I'll post up here what I learn and do.

Gotta love this site!

jp

Bigblue73
07-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I use the cal-covers dust-stop which is material from Kimberley Clark. I like it, it's thick and offers some protect from slight incidental contact. Again, with fresh paint....rent the neighbors garage!