PDA

View Full Version : LS1 carb intake swap?????

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know anything about converting an LS1 to a carb? I've seen parts in some magazine where you can convert it but have never seen one done. I think you need a MSD box or something. As you can probably tell I don't now alot about this. I want to do this to my car and am looking for suggestions, links, pics, whatever you guys can do. Was also wondering what is a good cam for this set-up etc. Thanks guys. Hope it wasn't too f!@#&d up of a question for ya.

:banghead:

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.

parsonsj
07-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Bubba,

Have a look at the latest Car Craft. There's an article in there with an LS1 that uses GMPP parts and has a distributor, mechanical fuel pump, and a carb.

jp

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks John. Im gonna go check it out.

Van B
07-06-2005, 05:24 PM
These guys offer a 600 HP LS6 / LS2 based engine with a carb. I assume they would sell intake and other needed technology.

wegner automotive (http://wegnerautomotive.com/wegnerautomotive/index.htm)

Good Luck.

Jeff

parsonsj
07-07-2005, 06:48 AM
The GMPP parts were actually developed by Wegner and licensed to GMPP.

I've met the Wegner folks and been to their shops in Wisconsin and North Carolina. The are professional race car engine builders (they do Cup, Busch, and ARCA series engines). They have top-notch equipment and decades of experience.

They are also building my 427 LS2 with one of those manifolds and a Holley 950 EFI setup.

Highly recommended.

jp

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Those parts look pretty trick. Nice and pricey too. I was wanting to convert an LS1 to a carb thinking it might keep the price down a bit. Guess it probably still would when all was said and done. It sounds like you can really make these things run with this setup as well. I'm getting excited.

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I just found this. This is what I was looking for. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.msdignition.com/2005/2005_3.htm

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy_sb_perf-rpm.shtml

white79bu
07-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Thats cool. I didn't know MSD was offering that box. I am looking into the same set up. I wanted to run the GM intake but I didn't know what to do about the ignition box. Do you have any idea how much the box is from MSD? It sound like a better deal with the built in rev limiter and all than the edelbrock box. Plus I think from everything I've read the GM intake makes more power. Let me know Andy

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
You can order a kit from Summit with a Edelbrock intake, MSD ign box, wire harness and a trans kick down bracket for like $699. I'm not sure how much the MSD is by itself. You could go to the MSD website and get the part #. Then go to the Summit website and type in that part #. Make sure you start the part # off with "MSD****" for it to find it in Summits parts list.

white79bu
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I just got off the phone with Jegs. MSD box is $303, extended harness is $179 and GM intake $340. Edelbrock Victor Jr. set is going to be cheaper I think. But I like the the GM intake and the MSD controller better than the Edelbrock set. I guess I better find somebody to buy my drivetrain.

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't know why I was thinking that kit I saw in Summit came with an MSD. I would rather have the MSD setup also. Did you get a part# for that extedned harness and the GM intake? What is the difference in the GM intake and the Vic Jr. or Performer RPM?

white79bu
07-07-2005, 05:19 PM
MSD and Edelbrock together designed the box for the Edelbrock set up.The part# for the extended harness is 6010. The intake is through Scoggin Dickey part# 88958675. The only diffrence between the performer rpm and the GM intake is the Gm intake is single plan and has a higher power band. All of the magazine articles I have read the GM intake makes more power. As for the Victor Jr. I am not sure. I know they make one but no one sells them yet. The edelbrock set up is going to be around $150 cheaper. Which is my main concern because if I do this swap I am looking for the best deal like everyone else. I may try to find the parts on ebay. Even though edelbrock is going to be cheaper, I think that the GM intake and the MSD box are going to be more tuneable. If you are looking for camshaft suggestions check out popular hotroddings web site. They did an article on a carbed LS1 a couple months ago. That motor is what I am going to base mine off of if I do the swap. Keep me posted on what you find out.

andrewb70
07-07-2005, 06:51 PM
The new MSD box is much better than the one that comes with the Edelbrock manifold. The Edelbrock box has 3 preset timing curves, while the new MSD box uses their latest pro software which essentially give you the ability to program whatever curve you desire. It also features a 2-step rev limiter as well as a single stage of nitrous retard.

Andrew

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Here is an older link from PHR. This is exactly what I was wanting to do. Except with that new MSD box. And maybe a little bit bigger cam. I can't believe these things run as good as they do with basically stock internals.
Awesome!!!!!
:firefire:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0409em_gmpp/

Zedzag
07-08-2005, 04:21 PM
The edelbrock box they use now has six cuves not 3. I've seen it used in a few mags and they list the six curves.

Travis B
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Bubba,

Have a look at the latest Car Craft. There's an article in there with an LS1 that uses GMPP parts and has a distributor, mechanical fuel pump, and a carb.

jp

Do you know if GMPP is listing that intake yet I can not find it, any help would be appreciated thanks
T

parsonsj
07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Travis,

Check out this link (http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0508ch_carb/). The GMPP pn for the intake manifold is 88958675. Good luck; according to Wegner, they've shipped a warehouse full of these parts to GM. It's just a matter of finding where they went.

jp

Travis B
07-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Travis,

Check out this link (http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0508ch_carb/). The GMPP pn for the intake manifold is 88958675. Good luck; according to Wegner, they've shipped a warehouse full of these parts to GM. It's just a matter of finding where they went.

jp

Thanks JP

rocketman
07-19-2005, 11:17 PM
i have been thinking about 427 ls2 carbed for my new project.would be every diff.

nitrovette
07-20-2005, 03:08 AM
ONe of the guys onthe corvette forum just put the carb. kit with the msd on his ls-1 in his c3 vette and likes it.

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-20-2005, 03:52 PM
What intake and carb did he use? Does it drive good? Just curious. I haven't had the chance to see this setup in person yet.

nitrovette
07-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Let me find the link and ill post it for you.

Way_Fast_Whitey
07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks

nitrovette
07-28-2005, 03:22 AM
heres what hes using,couldnt find any more info yet

LSx w/6.0L heads Comp cam, MSD, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 750, Z06 manifolds