PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold installation

Dadms
09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I'd like to get some expert advice on the best way to install an intake manifold on a BBC. I have the non-silicone (metal reinforced) gasket from Chevrolet. My questions are:
1. Do I run a bead of silicone around the water jackets? If so, which side of the gasket?
2. I've seen all kinds of opinions on the end rail. Do I use the rubber molded inserts which locate in the locking holes and if so do you add any gasket material to help seal them? Or, just use RTV?
3. Should I use some type of gasket sealer on the head side of the gasket before laying down the gasket?

Thanks..............

Matt@RFR
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
1. Buy some Felpro's. You'll be much happier with yourself if you ever change manifolds.

1a. Put a very thin coating of silicone around the water ports, both sides of gasket. Spread the silicone with your finger to make sure it's even, and there isn't enough there to squeeze into the port, thus disturbing water flow.

2. Set the manifold on the motor with the gaskets. Note space between block and manifold. Take the manifold back off and run a bead of clear silicone about twice as high as needed to fill the gap. If you get the manifold bolted down in a timely manner, you'll be able to go back and smooth the silicone out with your finger, and it makes for a very nice looking installation.

3. Not if you buy the Felpro's. I have no idea if you run those stock gaskets though....never used 'em. You will, however, want to use some glue to make sure the gaskets line up with the ports after you've put the manifold on. Just put a few small dots of the glue on the back of the gasket in places where sealing isn't an issue.

Just my opinions, ofcourse.

ProdigyCustoms
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
If it is an aluminum intake, I coat both sides of the entire intake gasket with red Permatex. The ends, the clear is the best as the rubber seals sometimes hold the intake up off the heads and prevent sealing. Intake vacum leaks SUCK!

Dadms
09-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. When you say red permatex, is that the #2 non-hardning, or is it the high temp RTV?

thanks..............mike