PDA

View Full Version : SC&C or Ridetech

69cam1219
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Well for a good while Ive seen checking out PT.com about every other day and decided to finally create an account. Its getting cold and got quite a bit of money saved up now. So its getting time to pull the trigger on purchasing new suspension products because everything under my 69 camaro is worn out. Would really like to install DSE stuff all the way around but I really cant put that much into the car. I need to save as much as possible but really dont want to just throw cheap stuff under the car. Do it right the first time.......The car is mostly going to be a driver. I drive it 2 to 3 times a week atm. I live in middle Tn and would like to attend any road race/ autocross events in the area and def would like to attend the run to music city and RTTH this year. Well after looking I think going with a SC&C set up or a Ridetech set up. I really dont know alot about suspensions but would really like some people that know their stuff to give me their insight of which I should go with. With both set ups i will go with subframe connectors, solid bushings, mini tubs, narrowed 12 bolt, c5/c5 brakes......Heres the 2 set ups Im decideing between.

Ridetech
LCA $600
UCA $400
Single Adjust coilover (front) $700
Musclebar front $500
Ridetech tall spindle $350
Tru Turn upgrade $600
AirBar $1300
Single adjust coilover (back) $650
MuscleBar (back) $500
Total = $ 5650
Total (if went with the glink instead of the airbar....read in a previous thread the glink in a better version of the airbar) = $6574

SC&C
Street comp AFX (tall spindle w/ upper control arm) $1489
LCA $548
Eibach Springs $200
Varishocks $378
Hellwig front tubular sway bar 1 1/8" 169.90
Glink w/ mini tub and includes single adjust coilover $2224
Add sway bar to glink $459
Total 5467.90

The figures are not exact I just went with the prices that are on their websites.
I might be forgetting something. If so please add in what I might be forgetting but if i went with the SC&C set up i still need to buy all the steering linkage, tie rods, etc because mine is loose and in need of replacing while Im at it. If I went with ridetech the tru turn would cover that. But I do like how the SPC arms are adjustable for helping with alignment. With the tru turn I can also probly run a 9.5 wheels and I think i remember reading a 265 tire. Any other pros or cons of either? Like I said Im very novice in the suspension area so any info will help. Is one set up going to give the first gen a better geometry than the other? With the ridetech am I just paying to run a bigger tire up front and thats it? I keep reading both products are great and everyone is very helpful just trying to see which is best for me.

jilge71
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I would vote sc&c. Marcus was awesome to deal with. He can plan out everything so you can reach your suspension goals with ease!!!

LUACE
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I was doing the same research several months ago… Definitely a lot of good options out there and I have to admit that making a final decision was extremely tough. In my case I ended up going with Speed Tech ‘Track Time’ Package, but my definition of “doing it right the first time” is slightly different than yours (arguably different than others on this site as well). It sounds to me that you want to stay under a specific budget and want to keep the original sub-frame. If I had to choose between SC&C and Ridetech only, my quick answer would be Ridetech. To me being able to fit a 10”- 275 with a stock sub-frame is huge benefit, and with all the cool suspension stuff they have to offer, I would have to vote for Ridetech. Also, after seeing the ’48 Hour Camaro’ Perform in person at the GG Del Mar show, I was very impressed… That car was badass! The stance on the car was great and handling looked awesome. I am actually considering purchasing this for my driver 67 camaro.

Have you chosen what wheel/tire combo you are going with yet?

LUACE
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Also, Check out this cool video. http://ridetechtv.com/2011/06/48-hour-camaro-ridetech-front-suspension/

chuckd71
12-07-2011, 01:04 AM
You might have seen the post, but ridetech is having a sale and PTS (a sponsor here) gives a discount on top of it. I bought some of my ridetech stuff from him and it was a smooth process.

marolf101x
12-07-2011, 04:37 AM
As I "drink the Ridetech kool aid" I'll keep my post factual and concise.

Discounts in December:
-If you pick up the parts you are talking about in December you'll save at least $300
-Just take a look here: http://www.ridetech.com/info/2011/11/december-specials/
-This also includes free Ground shipping on qualifying products
-there are also additional discounts provided by some of our dealers

Shocks/Springs:
-We use a monotube shock opposed to a twin tube (the shock is manufactured by Fox Racing Shox and unless you run over an IED it'll live through anything)
-Our set up is a true coil-over, so you have complete adjustability front and rear

Tru Turn:
-As has been stated, the biggest change you can make is putting the biggest tire you can fit under the front. Until the Tru Turn kit the aftermarket subframes had the advantage.
-You can now fit a 10" wide wheel with a 275 tire in the front

dhutton
12-07-2011, 04:48 AM
If your budget is tight an advantage to the AFX spindle is you can use stock C5/C6 brake calipers/abuttments/rotors and save a bunch of money on brakes.

Bryce
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Tires make a huge difference. The tru-turn is probably the biggest difference in the two packages and allows you to run the biggest tire on a stock subframe.

I also like to have adjustments on supension (if you know how and when to make the adjustments) so I would lean towrds the g-link for the rear.

chuckd71
12-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I have some of those afx spindles (on the shelf for now) and they are pretty nice pieces. The front musclebar is a quality part as well but I'm not sure it's worth $500 with so many other options out there. I think you could get a real splined bar for that much. What bryce said above about combining might be the best option. You could also get scc upper arms and ridetech lowers, but if camaros are like chevelles then the lower control arms aren't going to make much of a difference anyway (unless you are running shockwaves of course, in which case you need strongarms).

MonzaRacer
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Well If I remember correctly SC&C can/does sell ridetech stuff too. The Tru turn set up is great and I agree if your ready to buy AND want to run largest possible tire then with discount Ridetech hands down BUT both companies parts are great. As for the Ridetech coil overs have lots of benefits and can be had in multiple adjustment to non adjustable. And unless I missed it in my reading if the stock parts fit the Ridetech spindle THEN you might be able to make OR use Kore 3 parts to add in Vette brakes.

MonzaRacer
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Well If I remember correctly SC&C can/does sell ridetech stuff too. The Tru turn set up is great and I agree if your ready to buy AND want to run largest possible tire then with discount Ridetech hands down BUT both companies parts are great. As for the Ridetech coil overs have lots of benefits and can be had in multiple adjustment to non adjustable. And unless I missed it in my reading if the stock parts fit the Ridetech spindle THEN you might be able to make OR use Kore 3 parts to add in Vette brakes.

SR71
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
you can't go wrong with either company....

I was in the same position a couple of months ago. the choices were hard but I ended up going with a mix from both companies. actually from 3 companies, but my speedtech stuff was purchased from sc&c.

the ridetech tripples were my indulgence for the year. and I already had the same spindle that ridetech uses. next, the sc&c a-arms coupled with the speedtech chicane kit gave me the most versatility in my front suspension specs. and finally, who can argue with the performance and value of the speedtech tq arm rear suspension? :cheers:

we just got the car off of the alignment pads today. hopefully, one more day on her and she will be ready to go to the muffler shop.

69cam1219
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I was doing the same research several months ago… Definitely a lot of good options out there and I have to admit that making a final decision was extremely tough. In my case I ended up going with Speed Tech ‘Track Time’ Package, but my definition of “doing it right the first time” is slightly different than yours (arguably different than others on this site as well). It sounds to me that you want to stay under a specific budget and want to keep the original sub-frame. If I had to choose between SC&C and Ridetech only, my quick answer would be Ridetech. To me being able to fit a 10”- 275 with a stock sub-frame is huge benefit, and with all the cool suspension stuff they have to offer, I would have to vote for Ridetech. Also, after seeing the ’48 Hour Camaro’ Perform in person at the GG Del Mar show, I was very impressed… That car was badass! The stance on the car was great and handling looked awesome. I am actually considering purchasing this for my driver 67 camaro.

Have you chosen what wheel/tire combo you are going with yet?

Well I was looking at the track time package but in all I figured that would cost me about 12 grand. Tracktime package $ 9893 AFX tall spindles $ 1099 New headers(I think I rememeber reading normal headers have clearance problems. Might be wrong) $950. The track time does include a rear diff right? So that does cut the cost difference between the ridetech set up and the speedtech, because I will have to replace the 10 bolt that is in there now matter which I go with. Idk there is just so many options and I really dont know alot about suspensions. The car is mostly going to be a driver but I still would like to attend some events in the area, but I'm not expecting to really win anything. Just wanna have fun and a good ride. So id like to save as much as I can while still getting a good suspension under the car and not down the road thinking dang I shoulda went with ....... instead of ......... The car also needs some body work and I still need to buy wheels/tires so any money saved is a big plus. Im going to go with a 18/18 or 18/19 wheel but seen where some peolpe have tried to stay away from the 19 because of the tire selection.

SR71
12-07-2011, 04:59 PM
if you are going to minitub, there are very few wide 18's left that are not drag radials. as a matter of fact only the 335/30/18 kdwxxx comes to mind. 19's/20's are the here and now.

Bad94
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Cant go wrong with Ridetech, thats what i have on my car and love it.

LUACE
12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Well I was looking at the track time package but in all I figured that would cost me about 12 grand. Tracktime package $ 9893 AFX tall spindles $ 1099 New headers(I think I rememeber reading normal headers have clearance problems. Might be wrong) $950. The track time does include a rear diff right? So that does cut the cost difference between the ridetech set up and the speedtech, because I will have to replace the 10 bolt that is in there now matter which I go with. Idk there is just so many options and I really dont know alot about suspensions. The car is mostly going to be a driver but I still would like to attend some events in the area, but I'm not expecting to really win anything. Just wanna have fun and a good ride. So id like to save as much as I can while still getting a good suspension under the car and not down the road thinking dang I shoulda went with ....... instead of ......... The car also needs some body work and I still need to buy wheels/tires so any money saved is a big plus. Im going to go with a 18/18 or 18/19 wheel but seen where some peolpe have tried to stay away from the 19 because of the tire selection.

I ended up going with 275/35/18 & 335/30/19 nt05 with my package. I am planning on riding low, so I did not want to go w a 295 up front.

One thing to keep in mind is that the more things you get, obviously the higher the cost but more importantly the amount of down time to build the car. If you really want to enjoy the car and save money, do a few things at a time. Maybe start with the front end, ride tech would be my choice. Drive the car enjoy it, then do the rear... I really like the torque arms so I would choose either speech tech or Bmr. These options are affordable and are not time consuming to put together, allowing you to enjoy you ride rather than having a huge and expensive project sitting in the garage for months- years.

TheBandit
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
How does the true turn system allow for wider wheels on the stock subframe? Does it limit turn angle?

LUACE
12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
How does the true turn system allow for wider wheels on the stock subframe? Does it limit turn angle?

Check out this vid, its very informative, explains how they were able to manage this. http://ridetechtv.com/2011/06/48-hour-camaro-ridetech-front-suspension/

Bryce
12-08-2011, 07:18 AM
you can't go wrong with either company....

I was in the same position a couple of months ago. the choices were hard but I ended up going with a mix from both companies. actually from 3 companies, but my speedtech stuff was purchased from sc&c.

the ridetech tripples were my indulgence for the year. and I already had the same spindle that ridetech uses. next, the sc&c a-arms coupled with the speedtech chicane kit gave me the most versatility in my front suspension specs. and finally, who can argue with the performance and value of the speedtech tq arm rear suspension? :cheers:

we just got the car off of the alignment pads today. hopefully, one more day on her and she will be ready to go to the muffler shop.

Sounds like a good mix on the front suspension.

Chevelle598bb
12-09-2011, 05:31 PM
If you want afx spindles it is going to be a while. They are on back order.

TheJDMan
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
You need to check out the 48 hour camaro site. There is a ton of information there.

http://48hourcamaro.com/

LUACE
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM
So what the final decision?

69cam1219
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Instead of waiting on the AFX spindle I guess I'm goin with the whole ride tech set up. The price difference is really not that much and the tru turn sounds appealing. No one has said anything bad about the ride tech set up. Still thinkin about using the SPC. arms cuz I see they have grease fittings and they are adjustable for alignments. Might just stick with all ride tech. I'm sure tobin has some brackets to let the Corvette brakes be put on the ride tech spindle. Ill give him a call tomorrow.

69cam1219
12-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm not very experienced in suspensions so this is all new to me. I don't want to piece to many things together in the front and something not fit very well and needing modifying. Think I'm moving in the right direction?

69cam1219
12-14-2011, 06:54 AM
if you are going to minitub, there are very few wide 18's left that are not drag radials. as a matter of fact only the 335/30/18 kdwxxx comes to mind. 19's/20's are the here and now.

Then sounds like ill stick with the 18/19 combo. The 19/20 looks good on your car. I'm ready to get these 15s off the car especially that tiny lil 165 tire that's on the front. If the car was a drag car I'd understand. Just not my style so I guess they goin to my dad for his 67. He likes em

marolf101x
12-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Arms: Our upper and lowers have grease zerks.

Spindle/Brakes: There are a number of kits and brackets out there to put whatever brakes you want on our spindle (I recently did one with the Z06 calipers and DBA rotors). All you have to do is tell the brake guy you need brakes for a first gen Camaro.

Adjustable Arms: The adjustable arms are nice units, but I don't think they are necessary on the F-body. The F-body does not suffer from the same frame "sag" that the A-body does, meaning the upper control arm mounting points are typically where they were 40 years ago. We added additional caster (from stock) so you won't have to adjust much to get a good performance alignment.

69cam1219
12-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Well sounds like that's what I'm going with. Once I get a chance ill give PST, frank at prodigy,and Brian finch a call to see if they can do anything on top of deal that ride tech has goin on now. Is finch still selling ride tech? He's local and I always like supporting the local ppl.

6D9 Matt
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Good to see another Middle TN Camaro! I just got done installing a T56, and hoping to get a new built rear and maybe 4-link after the new year. Brian is definitely someone I will be talking to about everything.

69cam1219
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Good to see another Middle TN Camaro! I just got done installing a T56, and hoping to get a new built rear and maybe 4-link after the new year. Brian is definitely someone I will be talking to about everything.

Maybe if we get the cars done around spring time we can go cruising. How you liking the t56? Hopefully before to long I can put one under mine. Yea I know Brian knows his stuff and maybe he'd be willing to put in my mini tubs and some other things.

6D9 Matt
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Definitely man... I love the T56. I just got it back about a month ago, so still trying to get it out while we have good weather (these short days suck though).

I plan on calling up Brian as well...