PDA

View Full Version : Set of 1969 Black California plates (X, Y or Z)

Gandalf
11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Wanted to buy: a set of 1969 Black California plates starting with X, Y or Z. Must be a pair (two matching plates) with one original 1969 year sticker in place. Condition does not have to be perfect but not junk either. Figuring with all the inter-state vehicle purchases, someone outside of California must have a set of black cali plates they don't want/need/use?

Thanks,
G.

go-fish
11-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Is this the only way to get them? I still have my plates from the state I moved from. By law I am supposed to start tagging in CA but it's just so much more expensive that I have just kept my old state's plates. I would love to have a set of blacks for the 'cuda. Does it have to be from the year of your car's mfg. date? Does it have to have been originally tagged in Cali?

67zo6Camaro
11-30-2011, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that you may re-register an older plate in CA as long as you have both to show at the DMV. The catch is that in small/fine print there is some wording that is interperated by most DMV offices that you also need an old correct year sticker that matches the year of the car being registered. Plates have to be cleared of registration activity for +-10 years (not logged in current DMV computer). So, most DMV require 2 clear plates plus a year sticker. Stickers are available over the internet.... and plates are the hard commodity to get. When you purchase plates... it is important to find someone via DMV or Officer to verify that they are cleared before you close the deal. Otherwise you are puchasiing a wall hanger plate with a premium price.

Good luck. It's a pain but worth it.

go-fish
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
There are some counties in CA that only require a rear plate right? I have seen some vehicles in Imperial County that only have rears. So the sticker really isn't a big deal? Wouldn't you have to put a current year sticker on it anyway?

They need to come out with specialty black plates like they do the new "special" tags, i.e. child abuse, save the whales, ....

Gandalf
11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah - it' killing me. I scored a "Y" plate from one of my earlier 69 Camaro projects years ago - it even ends in "069" but I only got the one plate so I can't use, even though I know it's well out of the CA DMV system (7yrs).

rchaskin
11-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Check this place out.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

I found them a while back. Have not ordered anything from them though.

Good luck!!
Randy

go-fish
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Argghhh. Just read all the stipulations. Although my car was built in 1969 it is a 1970 model year so I can't ever get black plates.

DEIGuy38
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah - it' killing me. I scored a "Y" plate from one of my earlier 69 Camaro projects years ago - it even ends in "069" but I only got the one plate so I can't use, even though I know it's well out of the CA DMV system (7yrs).

Just have a second plate made to match the one you have. They can even restore the one you have. I think there is a guy in socal that can do it.

Gandalf
11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, easy to get plates made but it is my understanding that the DMV want to inspect both plates and that a reproduction is not acceptable (for the YOM program). Do you know differently?