PDA

View Full Version : 67 Camaro Tie Rod ends contacting inside wheel

ksupersport67
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
To all,

I apologize if this has been asked a zillion times. However, I am having issues with my tie rod ends rubbing the inside of my tires on my 67 camaro. I have 2" dropped spindles with 4'' adjustable coil overs. I also have a steroids rack and pinion. It appears that i need a steering arm that comes in 1/8 of an inch on each side. I contacted fatman where i purchased the spindles and he said to heat the steering arms till they glow and bend them inward. This doesnt seem safe to me. These are forged arms. Would this not weaken them? I am running the recommended backspacing on my tires. 17x8 with 4.5 bs. Is there an easy fix or should i bend my steering arms inward? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probird
11-28-2011, 10:44 AM
A search will give you all the answers you could ever ask for. The spindles you have are great pieces IMO and I would keep those. Ridetech sells the same spindle and just released their cure for the tie rod hitting the tire, it's called True Turn and I just purchased mine. This is probably not what you want to hear but I would ditch the R&P and buy the true turn system. The easiest fix is to shim your steering arms the bad is it can and will effect your ackerman. How much, couldn't say but I would shim it no more than a 1/4" on each side. I definately would not heat and bend those steering arms, not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't.

ksupersport67
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
much thanks. I have been searching high and low for answers. I have considered the shim for the steering arm but havent seen many people post about it. You would think as popular as this has become someone would build a steering arm that turns in about 1/8 on each side. i believe i will fab me some shims. I did see the true turn system but i would like to keep my rack and pinion. got to much invested to go back. thanks again

MCB Matt
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I was going to suggest tru turn as well, you gain a LOT for the $$$$ and no more tire rub issues. You will need the complete kit, PM email or call us, we can get you setup RIGHT. The rack on the camaro has not proven to be the best choice...but if you got it to not bind upon steering you are doin ok!