PDA

View Full Version : Help with a budget-ish stereo setup

rossmacd
11-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I need to pick speakers for my car. I'm using the MiMod for controlling the audio, but to be frank, I know nothing about speakers. Can somebody point me in he direction of a good speaker setup, and amp?

I'll be using a pair of small speakers up under the dash, because that's what is available for my car (1967 Mustang)
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-68-Dual-4-Cone-Dash-Speakers.html

These kick panels
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-68-Coupe-Fastback-ABS-Plastic-Kick-Panels-w-Speaker-and-Tweeter-Pods.html

And a sub in the trunk. That's it. I'm no audiophile, but I would like the stereo to sound decently good, without breaking the bank, or getting into compicated electronics, etc. There are some setups to put speakers in the panels above the rear glass, but I don't think I'm really that interested in doing that. I don't want to cut up the car any more than I already have, that's for sure. I could, possible, be convinced to put speakers in the door behind this
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-68-Door-Grill-Moldings.html
but that's it.

I'd like to (and this budget is imaginary, I really know nothing about stereos so I have no idea if this is realistic or not) spend around $500 on speakers and amp, so not including the kick panels, or a box, etc. Is that reasonable? Can anyone make some recommendations for me? People start talking about RMS frequencies or things like that (that may not even be real) and I get lost... but I also don't really have a terribly strong interest to get neck depe in knowledge on yet another aspect of car building. Can you help a guy out?

rossmacd
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
No one? Can anyone tell me if my budget is even realistic?

rfalker1
11-29-2011, 03:52 PM
lets say you have descent pair of Alpine SPS-600C 6.5 Speakers & Tweeters for $ 80. A pair of little speakers up front for 50 bucks. I have no idea what kind though. A 200 dollar sub, which would get u descent jl sub then look for a $200 3 channel amp that can carry your sub load like a manufacturer refurbished amp off of ebay. Another $100 for wiring and if you make everything else and install it yourself, you can do it fro 630ish

pw2006
11-29-2011, 04:01 PM
My suggestion is to check out Crutchfield.com. They can help you figure out the components, wiring, etc needed and you can see where the costs roll up compared to your budget. From there, you can search the web to find the best prices. Here is one low cost option, but I have no idea how it would sound.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-Watt-complete-car-audio-system-head-Unit-Speakers-Amp-and-Subs-/120811617963?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1c20eefeab#ht_699wt_1413

MyFriendScott
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Check Craigs List in the auto parts and electronics sections. Used speakers, subs, and amps are a dime a dozen. There's very little resale value to this stuff so picking up a sub box with 2 10's and an amp for $150 can be done all day long. Don't skimp on the wiring however. Get a decent wiring kit, should run you $60-$80 for a complete kit (power, ground, remote, speaker wire, 1 set of RCA cables, and various terminals). You'll need at least 2 sets of RCA's however, 3 if you plan to run front and rear speakers, plus an amp. I think it can be done for around $500 but you'll definitely have to do the install yourself.

rossmacd
11-30-2011, 07:12 AM
I'll br installing it myself for sure.

I don't mind spending more than $500, I just thought that would be a decent place to start. I'll look into Crutchfield's equipment selector and see what I find.

Thanks guys.

78trans
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
check out Millionbuy.com they are super cheap and products are great.

mwillis
12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I bought a bunch of stuff for my 70 mach1 off eBay. I have cadence 5.25 components in the kick panels, 5.25 mid bass in the deck, and a bazooka in the trunk. I bought a used alpine 110 watt rms amp, and a refurbished cadence 90 watt rms amp. I have around 800 in it counting the cost of the stereo. I think you're realistic on the budget. Not gonna win a contest with it, but it should sound good.

Willis