PDA

View Full Version : T-56 rattles

MarkM66
07-05-2005, 04:56 AM
Put a T-56 in my '70 nova. So far it's working fine. Only thing I've noticed, is when the car is idling the tranny makes a rattling/nocking noise, but when I put the clutch in, it goes away.

Is this the throwout bearing? Is this normal?

Clutch, pp, and t.o. bearing is new.

CAMAROBOY69
07-05-2005, 05:03 AM
This is not normal and hopefully someone in here can diagnose the problem quickly. I would guess throwout bearing adjustment. Sounds like something with the fork. Is it a hydrolic clutch set up or linkage? Either way I am sure it needs to be adjusted.
Oh congrats on your 6 speed installation. :)

Steve68
07-05-2005, 05:31 AM
I was waiting for this noise to come from one of these trannys, Mark when I used to have BMW, one of mine made the same noise, I thought it was the T.B. but it was the main shaft and bearing, never any problem from it just noise, my dad owns the car has 300,00 miles still no problems, maybe your is the same noise? Steve

chicane67
07-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Its a common and typical problem. So much that GM has come up with some pretty ingenious ideas, like a spring loaded tooth preload gear on the input and even using 'dual mass' flywheels to try and counter it..... but not so much on the later model year stuff.

It even gets worse when you alter the camshaft in duration.... the inputshaft tends to bounce on the cluster and that is what you are hearing. Its the cluster shaft bouncing between the input shaft and the mainshaft gearing. This is more common in six-speed applications due to the extra weight hanging on the back end of it.... meaning, 5th and 6th together. But what this is really assoicated with, is the low viscosity lubericants used in manual transmissions nowadays. ATF in my opinion, is the worst thing to use in a manual transmission that is performance driven. It doesnt have the shock loading principals that a hypoid gear-set requires for operation in the temperature range it functions in. That is probably the biggest reason RedLine formulated 'MTL' back in the days of the "Corvette Challenge Series" (circa late 80's early 90's). With ATF, the Getrag's wouldnt last more than two races..... nor would the steering racks !!!

And today, those two products are probably RedLine's best.... as well as for the rest of the industry.

MarkM66
07-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Wow, great info! I am running the hydrualic set up, with ATS kit.

Tom, I'm also running normal ATF. I'll try the 'MTL'.

Sound like I'll just have to live with the noise.

chicane67
07-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Just a question, but are you running a lightened flywheel ??

MarkM66
07-05-2005, 06:39 AM
No, stock flywheel.

The engine is a internally balanced 383.

USAZR1
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Lighter flywheels will make the noise worse. Sure make the revs come up fast,though.

deadcarny
07-05-2005, 06:43 PM
mine did it, but it got quieter with the 33 pound flywheel...

KAA
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
The infamous NGR (neutral gear rattle). A common complaint from Viper owners due to the rough idling V10. Went away when they pussified the idle in 2000 to meet OBDIII misfire detection requirement.

apex69
07-12-2005, 02:44 AM
How I missed this I'll never know. I used a piece of 50A durmoter rubber, 3/8+ thick x 3 x 5 (applications may vary) and zip tied it to where the shifter handle fastens to the shifter stem. DeCarbon nor Koni make these but it sure dampened out what I was experiencing.

69HuggrrrPT
06-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post here...

I am hearing the same noise from my newly installed TKO 600. In neutral with clutch pedal up the grinding, scraping noise is there. Push the pedal down the noise goes away. Everything is new and I'm using the GM syncromesh fluid.

Any TKO users experience this at all? Mark is your tranny still making the noise?

Thanks

supernovabjt
06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
the input shaft bearing could be giving you trouble as well as the pilot bearing. just some experience I had with a friend's camaro

coony
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
I used the Redline MTL in a doug nash 5 speed and it sucked out of this world, tranny shifted like crap, and all the linkage was adjusted just right, the shop said not to use the synthetic stuff, but I used it anyways. D+D also told me to use ATF in their Viper T56 tranny and it seemed to work just fine, with no noises, and smooth shifting