PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: '69 firebird under it's own power

JLM
07-04-2005, 06:06 PM
A little progress report on my 1969 Firebird.

The back end of the car is complete at this point aside from paint prep. I was able to get the passenger side 1/4 panel bonded in place over the weekend as well as referbishing the stock gas tank and remounting it. I even fixed the sending unit (have a functional gas guage is great). I did some freshening up on the motor side to make sure no damage would be done upon firing the engine. It had been about a year and a half since it last ran. I was rewarded with an engine that fired right away as soon as fuel got to the carb.

There are still a few things I need to address at this point. The cam isn't nearly as hot as I'd like it to be for my setup adn that's one thing I'd like to swap out. I'll also be ditching the edelbrock carb and performer rpm intake for a Torker II single plane manifold and a Holly or BG carb.

Now it's time to start getting the front end put back together. I'm getting the black paint for the inside of the fenders and hood this week and that should be shot hopefully this weekend. There's some metal work that needs to be done to the drivers side fender once it is on the car as well. Once those items are dealt with I can start the exhaustive process of paint prep and then the dreaded paint prison.

Finally, here's a short clip of the car under it's own power.

1969 Firebird (http://home.comcast.net/~jlmounce/Firebird.mov)

zbugger
07-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Looking good. I just want my car to move now. As for the changes you want, I'd suggest sticking with the intake. Change the cam and put a holley on it and it'll be fine.

Hammered
07-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I love seeing all these PT birds-good work! I hope to be doing the same in about 3 months. I would keep the RPM. It'll give you better low end response over the Torker and will hold close to the Torker at high rpms. Email the guys at Kauffman Racing Equipment for advice on a cam.

John

CAMAROBOY69
07-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Congrats! Nothing feels better than driving the car under its own power. I really like how you posted the video of your work in progress car. Those are my favorite pics and videos when people do that.

JLM
07-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the compliments. It's nice to see the thing move, it's a real motivator. I was wanting to get some shots of the car actually in action (maybe a little tire smoke, but was dismeyed when i jumped in the car and found it running at 250 degrees at idle. Once moving it crept down to about 220-225, but I wasn't going to be romping on the car with it running that warm. I was working on it again sunday and realized my idiot brain forgot to check the coolant. The radiator was only half full...there's my cooling problem.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Steve Chryssos
07-05-2005, 06:47 AM
"I don't remember them doing the brakes" I love that!

Jagarang
07-05-2005, 06:47 AM
God I wish I could do a video of mine under it's own power! Your car is going to be killer!
I like the Keystone slotted wheels. If your interested in selling them let me know!

JLM
07-05-2005, 07:03 AM
"I don't remember them doing the brakes" I love that!

Haha, yeah I love how my mother pays any attention to what I've been doing with that car.

The car definitely has brakes. they need adjusted however. The rears lock up very quickly.

Jagarang I sent you a PM.

Roger Poirier
07-06-2005, 06:17 AM
JLM,

Good job. It was fun to watch. I'm of the same mind set. I want my car running and de-bugged before finished paint. I will have to look up your posting to get a feel for the progress and style of car you are creating.

Side note, Janarang, I'm watching this one closely. You and Frank have to be towards the end, correct?

R.P.

Jagarang
07-06-2005, 06:35 AM
I guess you could say we are towards the end Roger. I suppose you could also say that we've been towards the end for a LOOOOOooooong time! But as usual changes happen and upgrades occur, which means the end just keeps getting further away. I've learned that you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and stick to it; otherwise you'll never get it "finished”. I think I've made just about every possible change I can and Frank has patiently accepted and frequently encouraged each of my constructive "changes". Currently we are waiting for vendors to return/deliver things so that we can hopefully button things up.

JLM
07-06-2005, 09:04 AM
JLM,

Good job. It was fun to watch. I'm of the same mind set. I want my car running and de-bugged before finished paint. I will have to look up your posting to get a feel for the progress and style of car you are creating.

Side note, Janarang, I'm watching this one closely. You and Frank have to be towards the end, correct?

R.P.

Roger,
Thanks for the kind words. I'll save you some trouble trying to find all my old posts. As it sits now the car will be a driver. I don't build cars to watch them look pretty at a car show or in my garage. The car will be "showable" at best. The car will be entered in auto X events, open track events and drag events. Even though I have a daily driver, I can see myself driving this car 3-4 times per week.

I'm going for the less is more mentality on this one. I'm sticking with stock suspension components with upgraded geometry and moving parts. AFCO springs with adjusters up front and custom leafs in the rear. Custom bilstien shocks all around. Nothing fancy or trick about the suspension, but it'll be balanced and work properly. I'd like to put a larger stick in this car but I may just go with a better carb. It's probably running around 450hp as is, and that's plenty for auto x and open track events and should still pull off a 12 second pass at the drag strip.