PDA

View Full Version : GM Factory AC

chufham
07-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I have part of my factory ac left some was missingwhen I bought my car.I have found the factory ac brackets and old compressor in a local junkyard,If I buy them and use the compressor for a core and buy a new condenser I guess thats what it's called in front of the radiator what else would I have to buy other than new lines to have ac?.I'm sorry this is long winded. Cliff

gmachinz
07-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Best bet would be to buy a new compressor that is compatible for use with R134 (most are now, anyway), flush out your OE hoses and condensor (but not your evap. core) then buy new dryer and clean or replace your expansion valve. It is very important to use the correct thermal tape to affix the expansion valve temp. probe into the evap. core housing-this measures core temps and adjust the expansion valve so as to not freeze the core. Then, replace all o-rings, pull into vacuum (28-30 inches is ideal) and charge. You want to see about 45-50 degrees out of the vents-that means about 35-40 at the evap. core which is ideal. A 10-degree drop is acceptable. I have absolutely no problems with OE AC systems. I firmly believe the key to having a great AC system is to improve the volume of air passing through the condensor to aid in heat transfer and a HO electric fan seems to be the best route. I would suggest a Mark VIII-I think a few people here use them.... :ssst: -Jabin

chufham
07-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks, someone had cut the hoses and removed the compressor and the condensor. I guess that is what you call it. So I will have to replace it all.

gmachinz
07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Sometimes OE stuff can be real hard to find and in some places, selling used AC stuff is illegal so be careful. If you have everything to work with that is one thing but if you have to hunt them down whether NOS or used, you may want to think about going with a Vintage Air system. There is nothing wrong with OE stuff as long as you can find it. If you need anything, let me know-I should be able to locate a new condensor for you cheaper than a parts store can offer. As for compressors, consider using a radial R4 type-they are much stronger/durable than the axial type. -Jabin

chufham
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks GMachinz I will take you up on the offer at a later date,I trying to keep everything stock looking for the sleeper effect except for the wheels.I to be sneaky about somethingd like a stock appearing engine.