PDA

View Full Version : Electro Motive

censo69
09-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Has anyone used electromotive's fuel injection system on their motor. Just lookin for some input on it. Thanks

Fuelie Fan
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
My co-worker and I have played with Tec-I, Tec-II, and Tec-III. Do you have any specific questions?

censo69
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Well I didn’t have any specific questions. I was just researching all the efi's out there and theirs looks to be the most promising in that the ignition and everything is included with the kit. I was basically wondering if the system is a quality reliable unit. Also how easy is the tuning interface?

Fuelie Fan
09-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Are you looking at a tec-ii or tec-iii? The tec-III doesn't have coil packs built into the case. It has much better software though. They still use their own lingo, such as "time-on-gamma" (TOG for short) which can make things confusing, since no other company uses them. So, when you need help, you have to talk to somebody who's used electromtive before, or they will think you're speaking Chinese. Every software has its ups and downs, so I could nitpick it, but basically it's pretty solid, not too difficult to use once you get used to it.

JamesJ
09-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Here is a shot of the Tec3 unit on a motor of ours. At this point all we use it for is the timing map. We can use it for fuel injection if we want, and we will also hook up all the other sensors and will be able to record the runs. This motor is stricky for racing but we have a spare Tec3 that I plan on using on my Pro-Touring car with fuel injection. From what little i have use i have with it i see no problem other what has been said. www.hotrodhoodlumstexas.com/knoxville0008.jpg Let me work on the link, its my first day :hmm:

David Pozzi
09-14-2004, 10:13 PM
I've been looking at systems too. The Tech 3 has loads of features and looks good to me but I've never tuned EFI before.
I like that the coils are separate of the computer.

The Holley manual is much better than the Electromotive manual plus the Holley is cheaper but has a fiew less features.

People say good things about the FAST system but for me it has too many modules to plug together.
David

censo69
09-15-2004, 05:52 AM
yeah I wasnt to keen on the FAST sure its a good system, but not exactly what I was looking for. Are you sure the holley is less expensive? Im pretty sure after pricing out the holley along with MSD distributor less ignition it was a little more then then electromotive unit.

SSMOORE
09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Have you guys checked out the big stuff 3 computers for efi yet? I think it will run multiple coils also. From what ive been told its the next big step in efi .

steve

Fuelie Fan
09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
I definitely would like to play with it. It looks very impressive.

HOWEVER, realistically it's overkill for 99% of the people on this planet. umpteen cylinder 16000 RPM support with full sequential....yikes. Don't be suckered into bells and whistles is all I'm saying. Be honest about the features you need, then do all you can to try out different softwares, becuase ease of use is really what it comes down to. Some systems are too complex (gen7). Some systems are too simple (the Hilborn/Carabine system...we just "tuned" one yesterday, I would not recommend it). And, finding a someone locally who has a lot of experience with the same system could be the key, their help could make all the difference in the world!

andrewb70
09-20-2004, 06:49 AM
I am certainly biased here, but the Holley Commander 950 is currently the best "bang for the buck" system out there.

Andrew

camcojb
09-20-2004, 08:09 AM
I am certainly biased here, but the Holley Commander 950 is currently the best "bang for the buck" system out there.

Andrew

I agree, you are biased Andrew! Just kidding, it is the best bang for the buck, and fully upgradeable to near anything you'll ever want to do. I also know of a high profile car builder running the Electromotive newest system. He's taking it off as we speak, not very impressed with it.

Jody

KendallF
09-20-2004, 09:06 AM
I have helped a bit with a TEC II..I hated it. "PAFZ blend"?! It was like learning Chinese and tech support was non-existent.

I have a FAST system for my car, and their tech support is pretty good. Being an on-line acquaintance of Lance Ward, one of the designers, helps, as does the fact that there is a huge base of Turbo Buick FAST users. The availability of wide band, data logging, and some of the other features are invaluable for a turbo user.

Fuelie Fan
09-20-2004, 12:29 PM
The Tec II, especially with the DOS software, was horrible. The TEC-III is much better, but again I would lean with andrew that Holley is good value.

JamesJ
09-20-2004, 08:59 PM
The only reason I am going to use the Tec III is because we have a back up one and I will eventually use just use it. Like Fuelie man said this system is most likely overkill but since I already have it own well. The motor that we use it on is a high volume Nitro motor so we use the extra spark. From what I understand this is a more of a race system and not design for street not that it wont work just that is more then most people need. Not trying to start a war or anything camcojb but the man that builds these motors really likes it and he also is pretty high profile. I will say that he builds race motors and rarely builds street motors so most of his stuff is on the extreme side. As for tech support mostly racers use it so…. When we called once we left a message and was called back within 30 minutes. Maybe it help that we dropped the engine builders name.
I was not aware that they had "kits" before, maybe now they are tyying to become more mainstream

camcojb
09-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Not trying to start a war or anything camcojb but the man that builds these motors really likes it and he also is pretty high profile.

Absolutely no problem! I've heard good and bad about every system. I was just speaking of what I've heard, I've never tuned that system. I'm very familiar with FAST and the Gen VII.

Good luck on your project!

Jody