PDA

View Full Version : G Body Help - - Should I buy?

68nogoat
11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
A guy down the street smacked up his '86 Grand National. I am not a G body guy, so I know very little about these cars, but I always wanted one. I am thinking this may be an opportunity where he is fed up, and I can score the car for cheap, fix it, drive it for a little while and sell it.

Can any G body guys tell me if I should offer him $$ or run???

The front bumper, filler plate, grille and drivers fender will have to be replaced. No structural damage. Paint is shot on the car, very faded. Original wheels are decent, should clean up pretty well. Zero rust. All stock car, 150k mi (!!), very well maintained...the guy had it since 1989, and has all paperwork for regular service to keep the car in original working order. I dont understand how he maintained it that well, but apparently never put wax on it. Interior is nice but needs some attention, 3 of the hubcaps are missing, but other than that it looks like everything is there.

He asked for $3k. I am thinking I will tell him $2k cash. That should let me spend $1k on parts, and $2k on paint. I am scared about 150k on engine with no major work done.

PLEASE HELP! TIA.

NOT A TA
11-21-2011, 03:34 PM
You could part it out for more than 3 grand so I think you're safe no matter what. If he advertises it for 3 grand rust free it will probably be gone in hours in NJ.

Samckitt
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Like John said, you can easily get more than $3k for it parted out. Rear alone probably go for between $1000-$1500.

68nogoat
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am hoping to take it for a test drive either tomorrow or Friday. I checked all over the place, and it doesn't look like its listed anywhere. If it runs strong I will offer $2k cash on the spot. I think I can't lose at that price.

Like John said, you can easily get more than $3k for it parted out. Rear alone probably go for between $1000-$1500.

Scot, I really dig your car, it's going to be a beast. I saw where you were on and off the fence on the scallops, I think they look awesome. Especially with the new hood.

socalfandabodys
11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Anywhere under $3500 and its worth it in parts. If it is rust free fix it and spray it. Sell it for $7k very quick. Make sure it is running right and hopefully never modified. Could have many gremlins lurking.

Samckitt
11-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am hoping to take it for a test drive either tomorrow or Friday. I checked all over the place, and it doesn't look like its listed anywhere. If it runs strong I will offer $2k cash on the spot. I think I can't lose at that price.

Scot, I really dig your car, it's going to be a beast. I saw where you were on and off the fence on the scallops, I think they look awesome. Especially with the new hood.

Thanks Brian. I can't wait to get it running again. Took a while for the scallps to grow on me, if I had the extra $ I would still paint it.

68nogoat
11-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Anywhere under $3500 and its worth it in parts. If it is rust free fix it and spray it. Sell it for $7k very quick. Make sure it is running right and hopefully never modified. Could have many gremlins lurking.

Hat is what I am thinking. Its very clean with terrible paint. I am thinking I will replace bumper, grill and fender, and have my body guy shoot it black. Then I will fix a few odds and ends. I figure that will cost about $3k, so if he can't come down a little from $3k it wont be worth it.

It is completely unmodified. I am taking it for a test drive today or friday. Any pointers on what to look for mechanically on these cars? He said the battery isn't holding a charge, so I will be prepared for a short somewhere.

MonzaRacer
12-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Running GN with mild damage, its an easy $2500-$3500, offer $2k and deal in middle, Body parts are easy hit local paint store that sells parts and get sheet metal/plastics. figure if you buy some sanding blocks, and couple sleeves of wet and dry and talk to painter about you doing some basic sanding. Let him give fender a shot on edges before mounting. If you can still get single stage you can do it cheap, then if you need hit it with a shot of clear later on.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about engine at first. If it runs, worry more about the 2004r with 150k.
Give it some serious detail work and you CAN get $10k if rest of it cleans up nice.
Detail the snot out of it.

vintageracer
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Just remember a GN is also a VERY expensive car to repair mechanically.

Fuel pumps $250. Fuel gauge sending unit $350. Turbo and engine parts get expensive quickly. Mechanically there are LOT'S of unique parts that you will not find in the JY on another G Body car. It is real easy to get to know real quick the Buick turbo parts suppliers who more than happy to load up with a bunch of parts that are not cheap to get a Turbo GN running good. Some of the most expensive GN builds started with a CHEAP GN. Use your head when looking at the car and spend a little time on the Turbo Buick websites to learn a little.

There are LOT'S of $7,500-$12,000 1986-1987 GN's out there going unsold right now. These cars have been stuck at that price point for years! The low mile, super nice high dollars GN's still have lot's of interest and bring good money. Most 86-87 GN's out there for sale are just what you are looking at. An old GN that needs lot's of love, attention and MONEY! Since you and the car are in NJ RUST will be a serious issue. GN's rust bad in the floors and the doors. Make sure you look closely at the rust issue. I know you said the car is rust-free. That's just awfully hard to believe on a GN from Jersey!

Fixing or restoring this car may be far more expensive and involved than you and many others may think. The car is certainly worth the money in parts but may not be such a good repair or restoration car depending upon exterior, interior and mechanical condition. Just be careful that you do not start to rebuild a parts car!

Shop wisely my friend!