PDA

View Full Version : Removing Charcoal Canister on 87 Iroc

ed1le
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Car is registered as a street rod so I don't have to worry about it passing emissions. My main goal is to clean up the engine bay of some of the excessive wiring & hoses and create some more space under the hood as I have a supercharger and a vacuum reservoir. There are multiple lines going to and from the canister, what can I remove, what will need to be rerouted and where, without screwing anything up? I have also removed the smog pump. The A.I.R. system was removed when I got the car & it has non-A.I.R. SLP headers w/ a gutted cat.

toxik iroc
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Do you have any more pics of your engine bay?

ed1le
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Sure, here are some. Keep in mind all of this was done by a prior owner so while I have the engine out, I'm trying to clean things up some and reroute stuff in a more sensible manor. The wire loom on the passenger fender is for the MSD box & Boost controller which I'm relocating to inside the car out of the engine compartment along w/ the ingition coil.

toxik iroc
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
wow you still have the ac! zip ties are your friends! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/dvdt/TieWrapLoom1.jpg could do somthing like that ....still innterested to know about the charcoal canistar( anyone on tgo give you a good answer?

GeoffP
11-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Is it still running the original ECM? I don't think it will cause a code to remove it completely, but you can always just unplug the two wire connector and drive it a bit to see if it does. Removing the canister itself isn't a big deal at all - it just routes vacuum to pull negative pressure on the gas tank so the charcoal can absorb gas fumes from the tank. My IROC hasn't had one in years but I'm also not running the original ECM and have disabled all the emissions in the PCM. I hope this helps!

ed1le
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
That's a good idea...the plug wires will definitely be routed differently. Yes, and the A/C works.

anthonys 69
11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Basically you can remove it all [for off road use only right] there was a small vacuum line that went from the purge solenoid to the intake manifold that looks like its gone already one of the larger lines would go to the gas tank vent. The other would go to the breather or air intake. Its all emission related to do with gas tank venting and doesn’t have anything to do with the way it runs. i dont know for sure if The check engine light will be on if its not on already. Id connect the vent hose from the gas tank to a small filter.

ed1le
11-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Still running original ECM, as far as I know. My concern was the number of vacuum lines & sensor connected to the canister...my buick just has two lines I think...but that's also a '70.

ed1le
11-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Basically you can remove it all [for off road use only right] there was a small vacuum line that went from the purge solenoid to the intake manifold that looks like its gone already one of the larger lines would go to the gas tank vent. The other would go to the breather or air intake. Its all emission related to do with gas tank venting and doesn’t have anything to do with the way it runs. The check engine light will be on if its not on already. Id connect the vent hose from the gas tank to a small filter.

The line to the intake is only disconnected now b/c the engine is torn apart. Not sure if the CEL is on or not, just got the car and haven't really driven it yet due to potential blown headgasket.

ed1le
11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Found out that the TPIS chip in it has the emissions deleted so out it will come. I'll come up w/ a filter for the gas tank vent...any suggestions?