PDA

View Full Version : Are there any real advantages to a corvette rear

mlr1026
07-04-2005, 04:52 AM
I know the word "CORVETTE" doesn't always mean better but, are there any advantages to an IRS as appose to a solid axle? For the apx.$25-3500 investment is there a better rear suspension/axle combo for a "ultimate" street car?

Ralph LoGrasso
07-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Most here are fans of a stick axle rear suspension as opposed to IRS. 3-link, 4-bar, satchell link, etc.

astroracer
07-06-2005, 02:57 AM
This is just my opinion of course but I did a lot of research before deciding to stick with a solid rear axle and leaf springs on my project. Talking with a few guys who had built a number of these suspensions swayed me to the simplicity and tuneability of leafs.
Of course any suspension, whether it's a stock style leaf, 4 link or IRS is only as good as the initial setup and, if it is not installed correctly or tuned to the application, will not perform to the level of even a stock suspension.
From my research I determined there were no real advantages of an IRS over a tuned stock style leaf spring suspension. The biggest downfall to the IRS was parts longevity and breakage (axle shafts and CV joints) in high HP applications with sticky tires. Initial cost is also much higher then a solid axle.
The biggest factors for me were simplicity and cost. With stock style leafs the bushings don't wear out like heim ends do, there are no problems with suspension bind or axle tramp and, with a few well placed extra holes and some adjustable shocks, the tuneability is there.
Of course there is no "wow factor" with leaf springs and a solid axle so you need to decide what it is you're really after...

ProdigyCustoms
07-09-2005, 04:02 PM
The cost factor for the hard parts is the same for a good 12 bolt or 9 inch Ford rear and leafs or a Corvette Dana 44. I just sold a 3.55 12 bolt for much more then a Dana 44 would cost. And the nine inchers we buy go between $1500 and $2500. Corvette Dana 44s with good gears are about $1500 complete for a nice one. Buy a 12 bolt or a nine inch, then a set of leafs and attachments, and it is actually more money. For refernce, there is a pretty much bulletproof Dana 44 on E bay for $1900, that has all the tricks and is all fresh.
From a fabrication stand point. If you do anything besides leafs, and start doing 3 bar, 4 link, truck arm, etc, the fabrication for the install is equal or more.
The IRS set up may be too tuneable for some, sometimes too much adjustment is a bad thing and many that can't tune as they get lost. The bottom line though is any high dollar car is built with a independant set up. And I for one do not believe it is only for the buzz of saying independant rear.
The breakage is not exacty as many claim. There are plenty of ZR1s running nines with 1.30 short times. I have had my ass kicked by a Corvette that had to run 8s to beat me. I belive 44s are OK for almost any horsepower on radials, because they will break loose before something snaps.