PDA

View Full Version : M9 back brace?

WICKED_SS
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Im looking a buying a M9 9" and didnt know If the back brace is needed for my car. Im going to have a 650 hp 496 built, and the car is mostly going to be crusing around town but will do a few auto x a year. I emailed moser and they replyed with " I think for a street car you need the back brace" hmm Think?? I seen mary's camaro has a F9 and dosnt have a back brace and a few others.

Is it needed for what im going to do with my car?
And are there any venders that I can talk to about ordering a complet M9?

Thanks,
-Brian

MrQuick
11-21-2011, 01:15 AM
I don't see the need for back braces on these new fabricated housings...old factory type yes...but maybe they know something I don't. To note we ran a 750hp 3200 lbs drag car with a Cougar 9 in rear with no issues.

ProdigyCustoms
11-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Agreed, backbrace is not needed for your application.

WICKED_SS
11-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys! I didn't think it was needed , but was confused when they said I needed one. Guess its time to order one!

astroracer
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I looked into adding one when I was designing the rear suspension for the van. This is relative to what type of suspension you are running but, after I had modeled up the housing and developed the 4-link brackets, adding a back brace just got in the way. I am running the coil-overs on the back side of the housing and the back brace pushed them to far rearward for my liking. I wanted to keep the for/aft footprint as minimal as possible and all of that extra steel prevented that.
Another thing to consider is, we are NOT drag racing with sticky slicks and super hard, tire pulling launches. That is where there may be a need but, just going around corners and hazing up some drag radials, will not bend one of these housings.
Mark

scherp69
11-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a M9 in my build and added the back brace. I know I didn't need it, but they look cool with them on. Give Frank (ProdigyCustoms) a call and he'll hook you up.

WICKED_SS
11-21-2011, 05:48 PM
@ Mark Thanks for input! Im going to run with leaf springs and hotchkis sway bar and I thought the brace would be in the way and didnt know how I would be able to run the sway. Untill I get funds for a 4 link im stuck with leafs.

@ Mike I must agree It looks awesome with the brace on, but untill I lose the leafs Ill go without till then.