PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Recommendation in Phoenix AZ

Flying Bandit
11-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I Just bought a 78 Trans Am with a 490 in Pontiac in it. Put a new Holley HP carb and port matched Edelbrock Performer RPM intake on it. It really runs great wide open in a straight line but would like to find someone to dial it in and make it a little more streetable for cruising.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who is reputable in the Pheonix AZ area that could get this done? A dyno chart would be cool to have as well.

Can this engine be streetable? Tuning this thing is above my ability and think it deserves someone who knows what they are doing.

Here are the specs:

Pontiac 400 Block stroked to a 490 in (.060 over with a 4.5 stroke all forged)

Butler Performance Race ported Edelbrock 87cc heads milled .030 for 10.25comp
Heads flowing 330 CFM at 28in

Comp. Hydro roller cam .562 int and 5.80 exh
110 LSA .050 248 int and 254 1.6 roller rockers

Ported Edelbrock Performer RPM intake

Custom Pro Systems Holley 950 HP carb and Summit Billet HEI Dist

TKO 500 and 3.42 posi rear

TheMeat
11-24-2011, 06:47 AM
I would call around to the local dyno shops and see if anyone there knows how to tune a carbed car. It is more difficult to find a good carb tuner than an EFI tuner IMHO....kind of a dying art. Ask them if they know how to tune the Idle feed restrictor and Idle air bleeds.
I went to two different places in TUcson and wasn't satisfied with either after shelling out the cash. Seems as though they only knew how to tune for WOT and not driveability or part throttle operation.

You are much beter off getting a basic understanding of how your car and carb works, buying a wide band o2 and doing most of it yourself. I wish I would have gone this route myself as I would have a nice o2 sensor in the car and all the little tuning tools paid for. I actually enjoy tinkering with the carb now and learning how to fine tune it.

Flying Bandit
11-24-2011, 10:27 AM
That was what I was afraid of. It is pretty easy to waste money and not get what you want without any good recommendations these days.

It is running pretty good now that I disconnected the vacuum advance. Had it to the track and ran a best of 12.51@116 last weekend. Limited by traction and my shifting abilities right now. 60ft was 2.1 and short shifting at 5500.

NJSPEEDER
11-24-2011, 05:40 PM
TheMeat hit it right on the head. Dyno shops always ahve tuners either in house or associated with the business. If you aren't sure who is reputable or has a fair price go to your local engine machinist, they will either know or be able to direct you to someone who knows.

Good luck with it! Sounds like a beast

ErikLS2
12-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Try Extreme Motorsports in Tempe. www.xmsengineering.com (http://www.xmsengineering.com)

Flying Bandit
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Try Extreme Motorsports in Tempe. www.xmsengineering.com (http://www.xmsengineering.com)

Thank for the recommendation. Have you used them or know anyone that has with a carbonated set up?

ErikLS2
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I haven't used them, the guy's a friend of another mechanic I work with. I know he has a very serious carbureted drag pickup thing that runs in the 7's I think so he's at least worth placing a call to and ask some questions