PDA

View Full Version : 9" rear end question

waynesworld
07-03-2005, 08:21 AM
When I purchased my Camaro, someone swaped in a 9" rear on it. How do I find out what type I have? I have an axle seal leaking and need to replace it, but dont know the application.

And then the brakes, I am a bit embarrased asking this but I aint got a clue.... How do I tell if it has the original GM brakes, or are they from the ford 9"?

Thanks for your reply,
-Wayne

quadfather
07-03-2005, 03:30 PM
the easiest way to tell is by the bolt size that holds the backing plates on .if they are 1/2" bolts the ends are early big ford ends , if they are 3/8"bolts , then you have to measure the brg. dia. the 3.150" bore are late big ford. or 2.875" small ford. i doubt that you have original GM brakes . someone would have had to gm ends put on the rear , or done alot of machining to get them to work with ford ends. see which ends you have and i'll narrow it down even more so you can give the parts store an application for the seals . good luck.

waynesworld
07-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks quadfather. :usa:

I believe the backing plates have studs going through them and the nuts take a 9/16" wrench.
From what I've researched, I think I have the earliest style 9" ('57-'58??) from the smooth round back.

I have an old pic of the rear here (http://hobbystage.net/camaro/waynesworld/1093194206-004229.jpg) and can take a better one including the brakes if needed.

I appreciate the help.

-Wayne