PDA

View Full Version : Cup Style Belt Driven Front Drive Kit

Huneycutt
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Back when they were still racing engines in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Roush Yates Engines developed its own timing belt drive system. And now that they have the FR9, they've started selling the system as a kit to anyone running a Windsor. I think it is popular with drag racers, off-road guys and other types of performance engine builds. The belt is supposed to dampen harmonics and be stronger than a traditional chain.

I recently had the opportunity to produce a video showing how the kit goes together. Roush Yates is using it as a sort of instruction manual for customers. I thought I'd share it here. If anyone is interested, here's the link:

http://www.horsepowermonster.com/2011/rye-front-drive-kit/

Thanks!

anthonys 69
11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Personally I don’t like timing belts on a v8 motor the idea was to allow for easy cam timing adjustment to be made. Any kind of large cam will put a lot of strain on that belt and would need to be changed periodically. Where as a chain is good and unless your in that race environment you really don’t need to change the cam timing . Also if your running a distributor it can play hell with the ignition timing. drag racers may change ot after every race. And if it brakes.