PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interst in autocross events in Indiana

IndyDave
10-30-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm the Activities Director for the Indianapolis Region SCCA. I'm petitioning our Solo committee to create a local supplimental class just for Pro Touring cars and street rods. I've written a a set of rules based heavily on Goodguy's autocross rules with the only changes being related to SCCA mandated safety items, mainly the addition of SCCA's helmet rules.

The question to all of you is this: would you be interested in us doing this? Would you come out play? We hold 7-10 events a year around central Indiana. To check out what our 2011 schedule go here: http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/2011SoloSchedule.htm

Here's the proposed rules: (text in red is where the rules were changed from Goodguy's rules)

1. Numbers are assigned at time of registration for an event. We will try to accommodate all number requests based on class availablilty.

2. The AutoCross entry number must be displayed and easily read. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” high with a 1.25” stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” high with a 0.75” stroke. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this color must provide adequate contrast to the
background color.

3. Participants must use DOT approved tires with a minimum of 180 tread wear. (No shaving or softening)

4. No passengers under the age of 12. Passengers must sign the same liability waiver as driver. All drivers or passengers under 18 must have completed the appropriate SCCA minor waiver form.

5.Helmets are required for drivers and passengers. Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell
Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010,
M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable. A limited number of loaner helmets are available.
6. Participating cars must pass a basic safety inspection that will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
A. Functional seatbelts.
B. Proper brake pedal pressure and travel.
C. Sufficient throttle return spring and secured battery.
D. All lugnuts in place and tight.
E. Hubcaps are to be removed.
F. Valid driver’s license & Proof of insurance.
G. Registered - Street legal vehicle. No Race Cars.
H. All loose items to be removed from vehicle.
(Floor mats, items hanging from rearview mirror, cassettes, CDs, and glove box, console, trunk items.)
7. Must be a finished vehicle with floors, doors, fenders & pickup beds where required.
8. No unsafe driving will be tolerated. Indianapolis Region SCCA will have COMPLETE discretion to deny anyone participation in the AutoCross for any reason.
9. Street Machine(SMC) - 1955 & newer
• Street Rod(SR) - 1954 & older.
• Truck Class(TT) - Registered as a truck with the DMV. No high center of gravity vehicles such as lifted 4X4 trucks. Trucks with a wheelbase in excess of 116” will be approved on a case by case basis.

So what are your thoughts?

Stg1Regal
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Id be interested..... just gotta get my ride up to par to enjoy it..

I've talked to a couple members here on the board that are here in IN, on doing a simular style event. mainly in the lines of the "RTT?" events done by Bill Howell.

Had the Idea of "Run to the Brick Yard"?

Didnt even have a clue that you guys had SCCA events here in IN.

Bad94
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I know that there is some talk going around about trying to get a event in Indy.

daytonayellaz
12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I would be in for this!... I also have several local friends Im sure would come out and play.

66SuperSport
12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Sounds VERY interesting.

Hugger67RSSS
12-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Count me in!

eric1967
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I am interested.

tommycomfort
12-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Not sure how I missed this thread, but we're definitely in. We've been trying to make an event or two in the Columbus region the last couple of years. Keep us informed.
Tom

tflyboy77
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm 10min south of Indy and would love to see more events close by. We've got a great city for this and Indiana is still pretty new to pro-touring style cars.

wiedemab
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I would certainly try to make some events. I'm southeast of Indy. I would be in my '99 Vette though.........I don't have anything older done yet!

camarox2
01-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I may be interested in this event.

bmiller
01-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm located to your west, but I'm interested to

IndyDave
02-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Indy SCCA is proud to announce Street Machine/Street Rod class.

This weekend at the Indianapolis World of Wheels show, the Indianapolis Region SCCA announced a new regional class aimed at the growing pro touring world. Named Street Machine/Street Rod it offers a unique class just for enthusiasts with pro touring street machines and hot rods. The class will be available at all 2012 Indy Region SCCA points and fun events.

The rules are:

1. Numbers are assigned at time of registration for an event. We will try to accommodate all number requests based on class availablilty.

2. The AutoCross entry number must be displayed and easily read. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” high with a 1.25” stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” high with a 0.75” stroke. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this color must provide adequate contrast to the
background color.

3. Participants must use DOT approved tires with a minimum of 180 tread wear. (No shaving or softening)

4. No passengers under the age of 12. Passengers must sign the same liability waiver as driver. All drivers or passengers under 18 must have completed the appropriate SCCA minor waiver form.

5.Helmets are required for drivers and passengers. Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell
Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010,
M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable. A limited number of loaner helmets are available.

6. Participating cars must pass a basic safety inspection that will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
A. Functional seatbelts.
B. Proper brake pedal pressure and travel.
C. Sufficient throttle return spring and secured battery.
D. All lug nuts in place and tight.
E. Hubcaps are to be removed.
F. Valid driver’s license & Proof of insurance.
G. Registered - Street legal vehicle. No Race Cars.
H. All loose items to be removed from vehicle.
(Floor mats, items hanging from rearview mirror, cassettes, CDs, and glove box, console, trunk items.)

7. Must be a finished vehicle with floors, doors, fenders & pickup beds where required.
8. No unsafe driving will be tolerated. Event management will have COMPLETE discretion to deny anyone participation in the AutoCross for any reason.
9. Street Machine(SMC) - 1955 to 1979
• Street Rod(SR) - 1954 & older.
• Truck Class(TT) - Registered as a truck with the DMV. No high center of gravity vehicles such as lifted 4X4 trucks. All trucks will be approved on a case by case basis.

Event schedule:

April 15, Fun Event, Location TBA
April 28&29, Test & Tune, Grissom Aeroplex, Peru In.
May 06, Points Event 1, Location TBA
May 20, Points Event 2, Grissom
June 3, Points Event 3, Terre Haute International Airport (Indy/Champaign Challenge)
June 16 Fun Event Connersville In. (evening event)
June 17, Points Event 4, Connersville In. (Border Wars)
July 22, Points Event 5, Grissom
Aug 12, Points Event 6, Grissom (Hoosier Challenge)
Sept 23, Points Event 7, Location TBA
Oct 14 or 21, Fun Event, Location TBA

Cost:
SCCA member pre-registered $25
SCCA member day of event $30
Non member pre registered $40
Non member day of event $45

To pre register for events, visit: www.motorsportsreg.com

To learn more about IndySCCA, visit: www.indyscca.org

tommycomfort
02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Excellent! We'll scrub this against our current Pro-Touring schedule and make sure to fit at least a couple in. Exciting!

tflyboy77
02-27-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm happy to see the scca guys on here. I talked to them at the Indy world of wheels and they seemed to be very excited to have our cars run. Being there in person I was told that there may be a discount available for first time pro-touring autocrossers. I'm going to try my 77 T/A out this spring.

IndyNova
03-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Sweet! Ive been wanting to get out and try autocross. I'd also like to take the car on a road course on an open track day! Will def come out and check out some of the events.

IndyDave
04-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Here's the final schedule for 2012. Please come out, I promise you'll have a good time!

April 28&29, Test & Tune,
Grissom Aeroplex, Peru In.

May 06, Points Event 1
Indianapolis Speedrome

May 20, Points Event 2
Grissom Aeroplex

June 3, Points Event 3 (Indy/Champaign Challenge)
Terre Haute International Airport

June 16 Fun Event (evening event)
Connersville In.

June 17, Points Event 4, (Border Wars: Indy/Cincinnati/Western Ohio Region Challenge)
Connersville In.

July 22, Points Event 5,
Grissom Aeroplex

Aug 12, Points Event 6, (Hoosier Challenge Indy/Ft. Wayne)
Grissom Aeroplex

Sept 23, Points Event 7,
Indianapolis Speedrome

Oct 14, Fun Event,
Grissom Aeroplex

Pre-registered entrants:
$25.00 SCCA Members
$40.00 for Weekend Members*

Walk up Registration day of event:
$30.00 for SCCA Members
$45.00 for Weekend Members*

*Weekend memberships available onsite at Registration. All payments are made the day of event.

7:30 - 9:10: Course available for walking once Safety has cleared it
7:30 - 8:50: Registration
7:40 - 9:15: Tech open
9:00 - 9:15: Rookie meeting
9:25 - 9:40: Drivers meeting
10:00 First car off

Go here for directions to event sites: IndySCCA Solo Directions and Maps

Go here to register for our events: http://www.motorsportreg.com/

Go here to learn more about Solo (autocross) and the Indy Region SCCA: http://www.indyscca.org/SoloPage.html

Rod
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
you should change the tread-ware rating to 200, that's the new goodguys and american streetcar series number there all shooting for, just a suggestion

dontlifttoshift
10-25-2012, 07:47 AM
How did this go? Did anyone go? I am working on something similar for Chicago region and possibly Milwaukee and it would be an easier sell if you saw at least some participation.

protour73
10-27-2012, 02:08 PM
How did this go? Did anyone go? I am working on something similar for Chicago region and possibly Milwaukee and it would be an easier sell if you saw at least some participation.

Donny, I'd be interested in Chicago-Milwaukee action, and I know others as well !!

Let me know if you need any help, PM me

dontlifttoshift
10-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I think the misunderstanding is that SCCA doesn't want the PT cars there......the opposite is true. They enjoy seeing the early cars run, they enjoy seeing more cars run, and most of all they love getting new people involved.

From what I have seen, the classing is what scares most people away. If it was simpler to get invovled and just run and not worry about index, or being in the wrong class I think more people would. I am meeting with the Chicago region solo chairman today, I will let you know what I come up with.

eric1967
10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Donny I agree with you about the classes. I ran at St. Louis several years ago. It was very confusing figuring out what class. The guys running the event were very helpful. Some of the Subaru guys looked at me like I had three heads, showing up with a 40 year old car. Felt kind of out of place. Keep us posted. Thanks Eric