PDA

View Full Version : Lowered suspension questions on a 83' Elco

83Camino
10-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Like most topics, I'm sure this has been beaten to death. Here's what I have and where I would like to go.

83' Elco... going with 18" Boss 338's. I'm looking for about 3" of drop but I want performance. I have looked at Spohn and also UMI. My questions are about the front first.... I have heard ups and downs on running drop spindles. What are my options here to allow for that much drop?

Also in the rear.... UMI makes G-Body Control Arm Reinforcements/Frame Braces. Are these beneficial? I have read countless posts on the g-body rear suspension not performing great due to clearance.

Any info or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to track the car on a full time basis but I would like her to perform.

monteboy84
10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
What's your frame height behind the front wheels right now?

I've got Savitske stuff in my 84 Monte, and with his Stage II Plus kit, Moog 5660 springs (1/2 coil cut off top), and 245-40-17 Michelin's I'm right at 5" frame height behind the front wheels. I could go lower with shorter springs, but the LCA's wouldn't be level like they are now. With the same size tire on an 18" wheel theoretically you'd be a 1/2" higher, ignoring weight differences and all that.

I wouldn't go with drop spindles either way, a Savitske kit will fix your geometry without changing wheel to tie rod clearance like what spindles can do, not to mention 2" at the spindle is a bunch, you wouldn't have to cut your springs much from where I'm at to get your ride height way down there.

-matt

ETA: With my car at that height, the rear lower trailing arms angle up from the frame to the axle, I'd get some relocation brackets to drop the rear mount in order to fix that and get some antisquat into it.

UMI Tech
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey 83. Thanks for considering UMI. Drop spindles can be good or bad depending on the exact application and combination you desire. With all else equal, a drop spindle lowers the car and keeps the factory geometry, which is usually bad geometry for a Pro-Touring car. If you're 95% street though it could be a good option. Street performance with an occasional autocross or Pro-Tour event can be accomplished with lowering springs and sway bars using the stock spindles along with our caster corrected upper a-arms and taller ball joints. Running that combo with a little bit of drop helps the geometry with a stock spindle. After those two options we get into the exciting stuff like tall spindles or relocating mounts.

Our rear control arm reinforcements tie together the upper and lower mounting points and prevent weirdness in the upper mount which can take quite a bit of abuse in a high horsepower tour car, mainly from the uppers trying to rip out. The factory upper cross member is notoriously flimsy. Also, the tab on the inboard side of the lowers can use some help. The frame side is pretty stout.

Matt Peterson above is right on with his relocation comment. As you go lower the LCA's get angled up toward the rear. LCA relocation can either correct the angle back to stock or can be lowered even further if you go to a drag day and want to plant the rear tires.

Let us know your application and we can work on specifics.

ramey

83Camino
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I am waiting on having the rubber mounted so I will know exactly what I am working with. I will be calling real soon to get some UMI pieces ordered up

UMI Tech
11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
We've been doing a lot of El Camino stuff lately. There's just something about the way they sit that exudes coolness...