PDA

View Full Version : FIA approved seats

sinned
06-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Not that I think most seats need some form of approval but some venues require FIA approval. I've been looking and there are VERY FEW seats that meet FIA approval AND have the recline feature. Those that do are unreasonably expensive. I've been checking out the low end line of MOMO seating, I found http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=7983487894 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7983487894) some ebay seats for a reasonable amount. Does anybody have any personal experience with them?

Q ship
07-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Hey Den, there's 2 http's in your link. try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7983487894
Sorry, no experience with any of Momo's seats. Try to find one local before you buy, seats are so damn subjective. I don't think those recline though, did you want that?

Blown353
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
I've sat in a few Momo seats in the past and found them comfy, but not that exact one. Also, I don't believe that seat has recline; looks like a 1-piece fiberglass shell to me. Any tilting would have to be done with the brackets.

I understand your position 100%; I'm looking for seats right now and I do NOT want to drop the money prior to sitting in them. Unfortunately it seems there's nowhere around this place that stocks anything worth testing (APC seats at Pep Boys don't count, LOL)

Mean 69
07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd take a look at Cobra seats, I bought a set of the Suzuka's, and I love them. That said, racing seats are just that, racing seats. Mine don't recline, are really tough to get in and out of (well, not bad for a young whippersnapper, but that doesn't describe me as well as it used to), and very confining relative to a typical street seat. As important as it is to sit in a street seat for feel, it is critical for a race seat, and hot points will drive you crazy. I got mine from Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, they have all of them on display in multiple sizes.

You might consider buying race seats, as well as a set of more comfortable street seats and switching between events. And by the way, racing seats are expensive, the Suzuk'a (standard ones) are made of Kevlar and cost about $700 per side. they are tough, a street seat (short of the really nice upper end ones) can't take impact, and that is a big difference.

Mark

sinned
07-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks Brian, I fixed the link.

Troy, that is my problem. I really would like a seat with at least a basic recline feature, without spending a million dollars. At the same time it needs the FIA sticker.

Being slightly uncomfortable to get in and out of of is not an issue (still kinda a young whippersnapper).

Steve Chryssos
07-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I was in the same boat. So I sat in a few different one piece seats and settled on an FIA Corbeau one piece (aluminum frame). The secret is to factor in a little "tilt" when fabricating the mounting brackets. Three years later I'm still happy with the position. But, then again, I like to sit upright. Makes me feel more in control.

As a compromise, I have a reclining/adjusting passenger seat.

sinned
07-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just build the amount of "recline" into the seat I want. I like the Momos....only 15lbs/ea :eek:

Jim Nilsen
07-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I sat in so many different seats at SEMA that I was glad when I finally found one that was comfy, then they told me the price and I went right back to being uncomfortable again. :nopity:

I truly recommend sitting in any seat you are looking at before you buy them. It is so decieving as to how they fit by the way that they look. I thought the most uncomfortable seat I sat in was the new Carrera GT seat from Recaro. It was, believe it or not $25,000 for the damn thing. I still swear the salesman was stroking me but he insisted that is what they charge Porsche for them.

I think the best thing is to have 2 different seats. One for racing events and one for the street. Or go the way Steevo has and leave it at that.

Jim Nilsen