PDA

View Full Version : NASA Hyperdrive

firebob
10-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I've been looking at this for just some quick track time when I don't have all day to spend.
Anybody ever tried one of these sessions?
I just didn't want to waste my time if I'm going to get stuck between a grandmother in a mini van and a 16 year old in his first mustang that his daddy bought.

Robert

Josue
10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
It wasn't a NASA event, but I recently went to my first HPDE event a few weeks ago in my Mazda Protege5. I had the same concerns about my first time out, but mostly that I didn't want to be THAT GUY to gum up the works with my slow wagon. lol Because it was raining, my FWD did better than most of the other cars out there, and I didn't get passed once. I say "passed" like it's a race, but if someone behind you is faster, you're supposed to politely give them a wave out your window so they can pass you on a straight. I ended up getting around quite a few cars, including a few mustangs, a viper, a ferrari, couple miata's, and I even lapped a miata on my last session out!

My track time was a little more laid back than an official NASA event from what I've been told by my Mazda friends, and I got 6-20 minute sessions that day, instead of 1-20 minute session. There was also no instructors in the beginners cars. Luckily, I had enough of my experienced friends there with me to ride along and give me pointers. I'm looking to do some of these next season, but I'll need to supplement the NASA events with other track days. 1-20 minute session every few months (seems to be their schedule around here) is just a tease!

I'd definitely recommend it though. The price is kind of high, at least around here it's $60 for a 20 minute session, but it's so much fun it's insane.

pedro
10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
If you have never been on a track its worth it, but if your looking for track time save your money and do the whole day/weekend. I spent half the session behind slower cars and the classroom portion was pointless.

While I was there I did a ride along with an instructor in a track preped RX7... that alone was worth the $60.

Pete

firebob
10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
So you ended up getting a whole day for the price of one session? That's pretty good. Too bad it was raining. I agree, it's crazy fun.

Robert