PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Oregon

T toney
10-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi,

Tj here from Oregon. Been looking at the site for about six months, but finally bought the car worthy of some work so I had to get serious and join. Just acquired a 67 Camaro SS 396. Previous owner did a fair bit of work, but lacks a bunch of the cool pro touring gear. It has a 4speed manual, posi 3.36 rear, with power steering and disc front brakes. Im not a great mechanic but have some general knowledge so Im hoping that with the help from some experienced builders I can add some great pro touring attributes to my dream car. I will be posting some pics in the near future.

The car drives pretty good now, but has a stock suspension and steering system. I will have about 5k available for the first round of upgrades and could really use some advice on what to do first. Engine and Tranny are recently rebuilt and the engine is a monster.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

solarguy09
10-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Hello. I am a newbie to the site too. My car is in for touring upgrades right now...
I am not the guy to talk to about upgrades. Some of these guys on here are way smart about this stuff.
Good luck and i look forward to viewing your build on the projects/builds section...

Apogee
10-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the board! What's your end goal for the car? Is this a daily-driver that might see the occasional auto-x event and/or canyon run or is this something that you would like to push hard up at ORP or PIR as often as possible? Do you plan on driving it year round or is it going to be garaged once the snow flies and the roads are covered with ice and cinder?

There's no shortage of things you can spend money on, however the more you plan things up front, the better off you, your car and your wallet will be in the long run.

Tobin
KORE3

CruizinKev
10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
welcome aboard!

T toney
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
End goal of the car would be to have a nice cruiser that handles well with tons of power. Would like to be able to drive it for 300 miles comfortably and also maybe head to a auto-x event once a year or so just to have some fun. Car will probably get driven about 3000 miles per year. I figure over the next couple of years I am hoping to have about 15-20k to invest into it. I was hoping to find a guy here in Oregon that has some extensive build experience that I could lean on to review the current car status and find out where to go from there.

Obviously, I would love to go to LS power and a six speed in the future, but the current 396 and 4 speed have had a lot of money put into them so I will probably keep them for the time being, but would like to plan for an eventual swap, keeping that in mind with any upgrades I do now.

Other upgrades will be an RS grill assembly, New interior gauge assembly, etc. I am thinking the suspension and steering should come first, also thinking about a mini tub, but the $$$ add up quickly.

T toney
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Apogee,

Saw you had a 73 Nova build going on, I also have a big bumper 73. Was my first car! I have thought of selling it to pay for the camaro build but can't bring myself to do it. I think my Nova actually handles way better than the 67 camaro right now, but that will change here in the near future. Good luck on the project!