PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac 400 or 455 in 87 T/A

79TransAm
06-30-2005, 03:47 AM
1st Task: Emissions
Would have to keep charcoal canister - no problem, but im assuming id have to find one for the motor im puttin in and not the original 87. Also cat is fine, i can manage that. O2 Sensors... does anyone know in PA will not having an O2 sensor fail you for emissions, or is it only cause it send signals back to the ECU?
2nd Task: Motor Mounts
Anyone know of any special motor mounts that companies make? Or would I have to fab my own?
3rd Task: Mating Old Poncho To 700R4
Anyone know of any companies that make adaptor plates to go from an old pontiac to a 700R4?
4th Task: Wiring
I figure the wiring is gonna be totally different, anyone done this before and could help me out that would be great.
I see these as my 4 major problems with this project. My biggest concern is making it emissions legal here in PA. Any help anyone could give me would be great.

astroracer
06-30-2005, 08:45 AM
#1 is your most difficult task. The charcoal cannister shouldn't be an issue, use the one in the car. The o2 sensor can be plumbed into the exhaust as easily as welding in a bung. The converter(s) are readily available in a high flow version. Your big leap will be getting the engine to talk to the computer. The real problem is the distributor. The distributor is controlled by the ECM as far as spark advance and retard are concerned and this is managed by the o2 sensor and it's output. There may be a distributor you can buy with this intgrated into it or you may be able to build one with GM parts. Once you get this done you will have to have a custom chip burned to work with your engine's fuel and exhaust profiles.
#2. I would modify the current towers to work with the Pontiac. Set the motor where you want it then make the towers fit that location.
#3. TCI makes adapter plates but you may want to look into a BOP pattern 200-4R.
#4. See #1... This will need a few revisions just because of the motor configuration. The starter is on the drivers side on the Pontiac which is opposite the SBC. You also need to take into account the induction. If the SBC was a TPI motor you will need to adapt the throttle position and other sensors to your Poncho along with the TV cable for the trans... LOTS to do...
Mark

79TransAm
07-01-2005, 08:54 AM
i want to get rid of the computer all together... i wanna take it back to carb, can i do this and stay emissions legal? and if not does anyone know of anyone that "does" emissions in eastern PA(Philly region)?