PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here playing with Viper-motor?

SuperB70
10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi!

Just wanted to know is here another how is putting Viper-engine in something?

I got an Gen 3 motor going in '70 Super Bee..

Plus pair of turbos...:banghead:

rjsjea
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Wellis77 just switched to a Viper motor on his build.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?63825-Project-SCUD-1969-Dodge-Dart&highlight=

SuperB70
10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, I know Will. Only man how is half Swiss and half US. He has a long distance car project ;)

wellis77
10-11-2011, 10:44 AM
He's 100% US, just living in the Schweiz.

How's your project coming Juhani?

SuperB70
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
"He's 100% US, just living in the Schweiz"

I know that, just refering to you signature...maeby didnt get it out right... Hi, I'm Finn..

Havent done nothing to the body, finishing that Mustang so I can take it off the jig.

But been weekly singledad with 2yr old son, wife continued her universitystudies last month at 250km away. I only get stuff done at weekends.. So I do know how you feel. But my car is 30 meter away in my backyard, LOL

Engine: our own custom main caps are done, I bought another crank, a set of forged h-rods and custom JE- pistons...been styding ecu stuff, it seems that we can use Megasquirt 3. Just need to use 60-2 triggerwheel...

What trans are you going with? I been thinking Keisler RS 6sd clutchless.

chuckd71
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if it was on this site or not, or if the project ever got finished, but a couple years ago some guy was doing an insane project with a viper motor and more fabrication than I've ever seen in a build thread. Can't recall where it was though.

SuperB70
10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
You meen that build where they build VW Karmann Ghia? Its has been in many sites. It never got finished. There are many projects in the world but I was wondering any here, else than Will and my self.
Here is that VW:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?74132-New-Guy-V10-Ghia&highlight=v10+karmann

Maeby the best build in the world is in Sweden, there is something that we all can learn..

http://www.zatzy.com/projekt/374743-mrspringer-saab-9-3-srt10-megapower.html

wellis77
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I love that Saab build, amazing work done there. I'm using a Gen 2 t-56 for mine. I'm going to build it up before the car hits the road. Then in the off-season I'll build up the motor. No where near where you are going, but enough to make it scary-er.

SuperB70
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Just updating that it seems that I'm not going to run TT, going to run with new 4.2L Liqued Cooled twin screw supercharger from Sweden. No turbolag, no intercoolers needed, simple installing, cleaner.

Just have to fab intake and drive system for it, no biggi... ;)

wellis77
12-10-2011, 06:44 AM
That will be sweet Juhani. Looking forward to seeing that. I'm on the hunt for an ECM for mine. I was supposed to get one with the engine and I have everything but. Flake seller says he shipped it with everything, must have falling out... Right. Weight on my scale is the same as the FedEx weight. Hope I can find something. Be sure to post pics as you are putting this together.

SuperB70
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Will, have you check one from Mopar perf.? They have race ecu for $500,

I not sure what gen it will work but do check your local dealer do they still carry for older models...

Or you can check ebay, xbuilders, viperpaul, racing solution or viperspecialityperfomance.

Or just go for aftermarket ecu like I will... Then when the time comes that you want to go w/boost you can ;)

I will start buildthread when I got something to show for...

Before that I'll build intake for one of those 4.2 to work in old Hemi...

oldschoolmuscle
01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=SuperB70;844936]" Megasquirt 3. Just need to use 60-2 triggerwheel..."

QUOTE]

you been reading on the megasquirt forums ?

SuperB70
01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Why you ask? Yes I have been there. Also I have been in many other injection and/or engine forums...

But that kind of wheel is something we use almost every application.

oldschoolmuscle
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
i've been slowing digging around about doing a viper engine swap into a demon. and the tuning/running side of it.

ive been heavy into the gm scene and it blows my mind there isn't software for the dodge boys. like efi live hp tuners for gm.

SuperB70
01-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Well, its about how big is the market. There is lot of stuff for new hemi but not for V10. Or there is stuff for it but still cost ridiculously much.

Problem is that it an odd fire. You can run it with Mega II but not at seqvental mode and if you're not going blown you dont need to. I'm gonna supercharged mine so I need that chance of play with it.

I don belive software tuning at non force induction engine.

So many engine failure would have been prevent with real aftermarket ecu (even with MS) and not with chip/flash tuning.

Good and skilled tuner is also important.

wellis77
01-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Plenty of good Viper tuners around the country that can handle that part. You're in for some space surprises when you go to fit it that's for sure. Good luck on it.

oldschoolmuscle
01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Plenty of good Viper tuners around the country that can handle that part. You're in for some space surprises when you go to fit it that's for sure. Good luck on it.

im saving my pennys id like to do a a.m max g chassis i still have about a year before i can really start.

wellis77
01-09-2012, 07:21 AM
If you plan to channel the chassis into the frame, that will only make your space limitations that much worse. Height becomes an issue as well. I channeled my frame so the bottom of the rocker is the lowest part of the car. When you do that, the motor gets raised from it's stock position and the 2x4 tube cross-member is going to cause havoc for engine height. I am building a custom pan and possibly going dry sump to get the engine height down and I might still be too high for the engine to fit under the hood. I won't know until my hood shows up though. Engine set back isn't a problem, could probably go just 3-4 inches to clear the radiator. Although, if you want to balance the car at all, expect to need 10-12 inches.

SuperB70
01-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Hey all Snake-fans...

They got my picture webside up and working again so here is a little peek what has found its way to my shop:

Two brand new 4.2L twin screw superchargers... Still in protection plastig bags...

The black one I'm installing in a 572 Hemi and the bright one is going on my V10. Charger is having that massive Kenne Bell 168mm/2350cfm throttle body also.

But thats hole another story...

About fitment issue, Will, I'd suggested to you earlier that you ditch that huge grossmember and make a new one from tubing. Maeby you could build one that goes at the front of the engine as an crash protection for the crank. And make other kind of brakets for LCA. About that have you checked that you racks outter ends (tie rod inner) are not wider than your LCA inner mounting bolts?

You do know that they have to be same width and angle, other way you get an unwanted bump steer...

All this with all sincerely, I'm nobody to teach anyone...

Just that I did little research when I took the Camaro to final wheel alignment. We tied the car down (it has on lift) and checked how much I have to get the outer tierod ends lower on the hub to minimaze to dump steer. Then I did machined the spacers and did the final cut on the extra long tie rod bols that we made for it.

On my B-body I'm gonna build my own tube K-member as I did on one of my builds, a '71 Camaro that I build an blown stroker big block, I had to get engine down cos it was so high that it didnt get pass on our yearly inspection.
I got the engine down 6", even got to put lowering blocks on swaybar mounts to lower it 4". The front end is not an low one, but the oil pan sump is good 3.5" from asphalt and rack is about 4". Law says that car have to have min clearance of 75mm/ 3".

This is just my .02 Like I say'd, I'm nobody to teach anybody about these things... :twothumbs

wellis77
01-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Those screws look awesome!

More issues than I want to deal with eliminating the front cross member. Plus, it really isn't going to gain me anything because of my steering rack height. The rod end on the spindle dictates how much I can move the steering rack without introducing additional bump steer. On top of it, one way or another I need some sort of tube under the engine, I can only gain maybe 1/2" of clearance which at this point, isn't enough to make it worth the effort. The cross-member is only 2" tall and while, visually, removing it seems like it would solve the problems, that actually introduce more problems than it solves and the limited gain isn't worth it, at this point. When I get back in a couple months, if that ends up being different, I'll consider it. But for now, I'm going to run with it, work around it, and dry-sump it. Suspension geometry is no worries, it's all worked out.

SuperB70
01-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Will, your absolutely right.

Looking forward to see what you come up..

SuperB70
01-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Hey Will!

Go check this out:http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/95343-gen2-twin-turbo-build-3.html

There is pics of Gen II dry sump engine, pump location, oil fitting and oilpan.

wellis77
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
That looks like the Dailey Engineering kit. $$$$$$$$, but VERY nice. Everything is machined into the pan. Great piece of engineering. Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that build yet.

SuperB70
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes it is Daileys, but my point is that you can see where they ammount the pump, where oil is going in the engine and how low is the pan.

I'm going to fab own dry pan, going to do same kind of but one that fit my chassis.

Did you noticed that even its a Gen II engine, it has Gen III heads and intake. That means more rubber burning capacity... ;)

wellis77
01-23-2012, 04:53 AM
I did not notice the heads, but I did notice the intake. I'm already looking for one and keeping my eyes out for heads as well.