PDA

View Full Version : Distributor hold down clamp not working, any ideas?

Project69
10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
1979 camaro, 305 engine, swapped the manifold out for a holley manifold and now the hold down clamp won't keep the manifold down. I'm guessing the manifold is too high and is preventing the clamp from working.

Could I shave the clamp down and get it to work that way? I also got an aftermarket hold down and it still doesn't work.

johngross
10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Tighten the bolt and see if you can still move the clamp. If yes, than your bolt is to long and is bottoming out before it tightens

Project69
10-06-2011, 06:02 PM
The bolt is fine, the clamp just isnt keeping the distributor tighten.

esenior
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Typically those hold downs have a slight curve to them. Any chance that over the years, yours flattened out? The old intake may have been more forgiving. I'd just buy a new clamp. If that doesn't do it, you can always raise the back of it (the part that rests against the manifold) by putting a bolt through it. It's a hack, but should get you up and running

John Wright
10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Some of those chrome clamps are not very good....I have have better luck using the factory GM dizzy clamps. If they get squashed flat over the years, you can clamp them in the vise on the side where the hole is and use a cresent wrench and tighten it down really tight on the fingers(one at a time) and bend them just a little. It doesn't take much to revive those GM clamps and they will serve you for many years to come.

solarguy09
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Some of those chrome clamps are not very good....I have have better luck using the factory GM dizzy clamps. If they get squashed flat over the years, you can clamp them in the vise on the side where the hole is and use a cresent wrench and tighten it down really tight on the fingers(one at a time) and bend them just a little. It doesn't take much to revive those GM clamps and they will serve you for many years to come.

the chrome one's always loosen up.. if it is not chrome, i am not sure what is up... i had a stock one, it was fine..went to chrome and it kept loosening...

68Formula
12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't know if it's different on your engine, but I had the same problem on my pontiac. I had to put a shim under the distibutor. Think I bought it at SummitRacing.

TheJDMan
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you need to contact Holley!

Rod
12-13-2011, 07:09 PM
:postpics:

ok that said get rid of the bolt put a stud in the hole and then slip the hold down on, next a washer and then a nut, the hole in the holley intake is a blind hole and not as deep as the factory its not going down far enough to hold the brace

Vegas69
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
You may also have your distributor to deep. The distributor should be clamped to to the intake, not pressing on the oil pump shaft.

sevillaz28
12-14-2011, 08:16 AM
A stud with a washer and nut should solve your problem. Usually the Holley intakes are cut so the distributor sits a little high on the manifold so that problem dosen't happen. Check to see if you clamp is flat, also pull the distributor out and put it back in without the gasket to see if it touches the manifold or not. If it floats above you may be riding on the oil pump and need to shave the gear. If its touching, then get a clamp and stud kit and that will fix it.

rrelco
05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
yeah i had the same issue put a stud then a nut....